× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[null]+2 on RN314 Display

nglshmn
Tutor

[null]+2 on RN314 Display

Started failing to attach to shares across SMB, and unable to get to admin page via HTTPS.

The only option was to reboot the NAS. When finished booting it displayed [null]+2 on the case display.  Admin page then available for a short period, but shares still not available via SMB. Nothing obvious in logs available via admin page.

Have downloaded the logs but don't know what I'm looking for. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: [null]+2 on RN314 Display

Any update?

That particular error message on the display in this instance appears from your logs to relate to the p2p network ReadyCLOUD uses crashing.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in the logs zip file (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 8
nglshmn
Tutor

Thanks mdgm.

Log files sent via pm.

Tim

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

Do you have a backup? If not, you could try booting into volume read-only mode (a boot menu option) and see if you can backup your data when booted into that.

I can see that your data volume is ~89% full which is starting to get pretty full.

You last did a factory reset on 6.0.8 back in December 2013 when you first got the NAS.

I can see a huge amount of metadata on this system. This is likely due to fragmentation from having CoW (Copy-on-Write) enabled and probably at some point having snapshots (which use CoW at the point in time the snapshots were taken even if CoW is disabled on the share) on shares that don't have any snapshots now. You do have snapshots on your Amazon Cloud Drive share but that share obviously must be pretty new as backing up to Amazon Cloud Drive is a new feature.

From 6.2.0 onwards it has been possible to disable CoW (we link enabling/disabling CoW to enabling/disabling bit-rot protection but they are two separate things).

Considering the age of your volume and the high level of fragmentation it would be advisable to backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

You should be selective as to which shares you use with CoW and snapshots.

Also, please in future if logs are requested include a link to your thread as per the instructions. It wasn't a problem this time as you sent them so promptly but it does help to quickly locate which thread the logs refer to.

Message 4 of 8
nglshmn
Tutor

Ugh.  I was hoping to avoid a backup and restore, given the size of the data.

In read-only mode will I have SMB access?  If so, I can backup the data that doesn't exist elsewhere (About 2Tb).  Most of this NAS is actually a backup of my Main NAS!

I really don't want CoW, so will need to look into that closer to see how to turn it off.

Sorry about forgetting the link. Not deliberate.

Thanks for the help.  What does the [null]+2 mean, as a matter of interest?

Tim

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should be able to access it via SMB in that mode, yes.

It's part of a critical kernel error message. Whilst I think that particular message doesn't tell us much, sometimes the snippet of an error message can be closely associated with a problem giving us a clearer indication if users have the same problem in common.

Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any update?

That particular error message on the display in this instance appears from your logs to relate to the p2p network ReadyCLOUD uses crashing.

Message 7 of 8
nglshmn
Tutor

Thanks mdgm.  Sorry for the tardy response.

I started by booting into read-only mode so I could validate that my backup was good.  It still crashed once - it appears that the disks had gone to sleep and I couldn't wake them.  Then I noticed your post.  I decided to risk it, and not wipe the NAS until I had tried an experiment.

I turned off ReadyCLOUD on the Cloud tab in the admin interface and it has been running fine in read-only mode ever since.  About a week now.

I'm going to try the same thing in normal boot mode and will report back, but it's looking (at the moment) as though ReadyCLOUD is potentially the issue.

Perhaps, once I've experimented I'll wipe it anyway for the reasons you mentioned.

I'm running NASOS 6.5.1 BTW.

Thanks,

Tim

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements