× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "No volumes exist" after attempting to replace a drive

Dilemma
Guide

"No volumes exist" after attempting to replace a drive

I've had my ReadyNAS for several months. I began with 2x3TB drives, and ended up expanding it to 4x3TB using X-RAID. The unit has worked well. I decided to expand the array by installing larger drives, so I purchased a 6TB drive that was on the ReadyNAS compatibility list. After upgrading the firmware to the latest 6.6.1 OS, I removed one of the 3TB drives, and installed the 6TB drive. Shortly afterward, the system reported that the array was degraded, and started a resync. At this time, the data was still accessible, and appeared to be running well. After a few minutes, the shares were inaccessible, and the web interface was no longer responding properly. I left the system in this state for 90+ hours, hoping that I just needed to give is time to resync. When I have all four drives (3x3TB +1x6TB) installed, the system will not boot up at all, as it will report that it failed to boot. If I remove the 6TB drive, and attempt to boot on the other 3x3TB drives, the system will start, but reports the following:

• Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3

When I click on "Shares" I receive the followin error:

• No volumes exist

All three drives are displayed in orange on the "Volumes" page.

At this point, if I install the 6TB drive into slot 4, all 4 bays are displayed in orange, and the "Remove inactive volumes" error includes "1,2,3,4" in the error.

I have attempted to contact support, however the phone line tells me I have to purchase a support agreement. When I attempt to look as the support agreements, I'm unable to figure out how to choose and purchase a support option.

I am using this device primarily to store videos for home use, and the device is not used in an office

My most important data *should* be backed up, but I'd still like to attempt to recover any usable data if possible

I'd like to know how to purchase a single incident support plan for this issue, or determine any other options available.

I'd like to know if there are any commands I can do to attempt to access the data on the array

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 6
Dilemma
Guide

Sent

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks. This is definitely something for support. From what I can see you have not yet registered your device?

You should go to my.netgear.com and register your device. That would be the first step.

Message 4 of 6
Dilemma
Guide

Thank you for your assistance, I have purchased a 3 year support plan and have submitted a support request.

Message 5 of 6
danwarren333
Aspirant

Did you get a resolution to this problem?  I have exactly the same issue...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements