× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas crashing

stanleywinston
Aspirant

readynas crashing

hi, as of this morning my readynas seems to keep crashing.

it becomes completely unresponsive to logging in through the UI or through ssh. The only thing that seem to do anything is pulling the power. it'll then boot up normally and operate normally for about an hour before locking up again. Temperatures seem normal and logs through the UI show nothing interesting apart from the odd virus definition download. Once booted it starts resyncing. it doesn't seem to be crashing at a regular point of that as there is generally a different % displayed on the screen once it has locked up.

Are there any other logs that can be checked?

The only thing I've noticed is that it is pretty full. it has 1x1TB 2x2TB and 1x3TB drives in it configured as X-RAID and there is about 300GB free space.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please disable the anti-virus service (there is a known performance issue related to this at the moment) and also update to ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2

300GB isn't much free space on a volume of that size.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please disable the anti-virus service (there is a known performance issue related to this at the moment) and also update to ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2

300GB isn't much free space on a volume of that size.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What ReadyNAS model and what firmware?  Also what apps/add-ons are installed?

Where there any signs of misbehaviors before the lockups started (dropped network connections for example)?

Did you check for a full OS partition?

df . -i

df . -h

Message 3 of 10
stanleywinston
Aspirant

Thanks. I'll give that a go when I can physically get to it again to pull the power
Message 4 of 10
stanleywinston
Aspirant

I believe it's a 104. And it is definitely running 6.4.1
Message 5 of 10
stanleywinston
Aspirant

Only add ons are Smb and antivirus (which I'll turn off). Hadn't seen any issues until this morning.
Would it be usual for this kind of behaviour when a ready as approaches capacity?
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@stanleywinston wrote:
I believe it's a 104. And it is definitely running 6.4.1

6.4.2 does have some bug fixes for the RN104 (in particular a bug with the RAID-5 hardware acceleration).

But I would check the OS partition first.  I'd also update backups (though that might be challenging with the short up-time).

Message 7 of 10
stanleywinston
Aspirant

ok.

updated to 6.4.2

antivirus disabled

partitions checked and don't look anywhere near capacity

Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md0        65536 17614 47922   27% /

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        4.0G  956M  2.8G  26% /

I'll leave it alone for a couple of hours and see if it crashes

thanks for the advice so far

Message 8 of 10
stanleywinston
Aspirant

so since upgrading to 6.4.2 and disabling AV, I've not had a crash. The UI is very slow but that may be the resyncing that is only at about 7% so far, so thanks for the advice

Message 9 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi stanleywinston,

Thanks for the update. Let the resync process complete before you access or make necessary changes in the UI. I will also consider freeing up space for the volume.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements