× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas nv+ v2 finder freezes when transfering data to the nas

leleblue
Aspirant

readynas nv+ v2 finder freezes when transfering data to the nas

I´ve problems to store data from a usb hd to my second readynas nv+ v2. You can see the nas and the usb in finder, but finder frezzes after a few minutes.

I did several factory default resets OS reinstalls but allways the same: Data transfering starts normal through finder, but after a few minutes it stops, finder frezzes)

I have no problems at all with my first readynas nv+ v2 (MAC OS X10.11.2., Radiator 5.3.11)

I bought the second one second hand, so I didn´t try anything.

Hopefully it´s not a hardware issue.

I´ll really apreciate any help.

Frank

Message 1 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi leleblue,

Welcome to the community!

If you will create a backup job on your USB drive (share) and one of the local ReadyNAS shares, will it run?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Second hand purchases often have hardware issues or if the disks came in them perhaps bad disks.

Have you checked the disks for SMART errors?

Have you run the memory test boot menu option?: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20853/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-n...

Second hand sellers might assume the device is functioning fine if they see lights come on when they connect it to power and turn it on (not even bothering to connect an ethernet cable to see if the NAS shows up on the network itself, or putting disks in the unit if there aren't any already). They may not even do that much testing.

Welcome to the Community!

Message 3 of 9
leleblue
Aspirant

Hi, first I did a backup job today USB share to readynas share, it worked without problems, file was appr. 13,5GB.

Second: Same file via finder to the readynas, stopped after a couple of minutes thistime finder said: Couldn´t finish, because didn´t find some files - error -36.

Before I started I put a new gigabit switch (tp-link) and I thought it could be the reason for this strange behaviour.

I still don´t understand whe my second readynas nv+ v2 works without problems.

Frank

Message 4 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi leleblue,

Let's pause or stop the backup job or time machine (if it's enabled). Does this error -36 comes up whenever you access the files through CIFS or SMB? If the error only comes up when accessing CIFS, there's a similar post I found and maybe it could help.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 9
leleblue
Aspirant

Hi, problem still exists.

Here my readynas situation at home:

(A) readynas nv+ v1

(B) readynas duo v1

(C) readynas nv+ v2

(D) readynas nv+ v2

firmware most recent in A, B, C, D

No problems at all transering files from my MAC via Finder to A, B, C, problem only occurs with D.

Testing results with D (first I did a comparison between C and D > same firmware, settings, ...):

1) Transferring files in a Windows environment, done by a collegue > same error (losing the nas after a couple of minutes, firmware crash in D)

2) Transfering files with my MAC via Finder without SMB ticked (only AFP ticked) >same error

3) Transfering files with my MAC via Finder with a new switch > same error

4) Transfering files with my MAC via Finder with a differnet patch cable > same error

5) Transfering files with my MAC via Finder to A, B and C > works fine without problems

In my opinion D has a hardware issue, but at this point I´m unable to fix it.

Any ideas?

Frank

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

You could try swapping the disks between the two NV+ v2 systems, and seeing if the problem moves with the disks.

Message 7 of 9
leleblue
Aspirant

I did try swapping disks and tried different disks in D but without success.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@leleblue wrote:

I did try swapping disks and tried different disks in D but without success.

Ok.  I think all that's left is to connect D to C's ethernet cable and vice versa.  If the problem stays with the machine, then I think you have a hardware issue of some kind.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements