× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rn104 esata failed after fw update to 6.4

kingloser
Tutor

rn104 esata failed after fw update to 6.4

everything is told ... before update it worked, after update it doesn't ... I tryed a different enclosure, that didn't help.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
kingloser
Tutor

Re: rn104 esata failed after fw update to 6.4

I got response from netgear support, they told me they fond an bug in the firmware causing this problems, I should be patient, this will be fixed in the next fw-update.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kingloser,

Welcome to the community.

I need to gather more details about this problem that you raised here in the community. Questions are listed below.

1. Was the external eSATA hard drive (enclosure) shows up in the UI or been detected in the logs?

2. Have you tried using a different storage device like USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 external hard drive?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
kingloser
Tutor

hi, thanks for your response.

both of my external e-sata devices do not show up in the ui or the log. There is no just no reaction, not even a flash of the LED

And yes, I tryed two different usb-devices and they work fine.

Message 3 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kingloser,

Thank you for your feedback. Can you tell us the file format of these hard drives that you have tested? For the time being, give us time to further investigate this issue.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
kingloser
Tutor

ok, seems i've been a little short with informations, it's a little difficoult for me to write this in english.

so far, that's what happened:

the RN was running with 4 2TB harddrives (jbod, no security). I removed all of them an put a new one (8TB) into the RN and the 4 old ones into an e-sata enclosure.

After installing the OS (6.2 ?) to the RN everything was fine, the old set inside the e-sata enclosure were accesseble, even the filesiystem with the old shares and data were there.

Later I updated the Firmware to 6.4 and after that the e-sata drives were gone, didn't show up in any log or UI.

To your question: the filesystem is the one, readynas uses ... perhaps ext? After reading your question I erased the file-system on the disk in the e-sata enclosure with another computer, that didn't change anything, answers by the way the question, if the is any mistake with cables, harddrives or the external device itself.

I hope this is helpful to you, and don't worry, I'm in no hurry with this

kingloser

Message 5 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kingloser,

Thank you for the information that you have provided. I have sent you a PM for further instructions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
kingloser
Tutor

I got response from netgear support, they told me they fond an bug in the firmware causing this problems, I should be patient, this will be fixed in the next fw-update.

Message 7 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi kingloser,

Thanks for sharing this information on the thread that you've started.  

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements