× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rn21200 disc export cancel

maks327
Aspirant

rn21200 disc export cancel

I accidentally exported my 2 2tb disks of RN21200 running RAID 1. How can I bring them back, to the same exactly setup, without losing any data? redy.jpg

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

I have experimented with export/import, but not on the main volume a lot.  You can import an exported volume (including what was once a main volume, I believe) as another volume into a system that already has a volume with an OS partition, but I don't recall trying to import one to "nothing".  When the new NAS has nothing, you normally just move the drives without an export.

If you do get your volume back, you are going to have to restore protocols and permissions, BTW.  They get wiped on export (or maybe import) to assure compatibility with the importing system.  You also lose any apps.

Now, I have an idea that just might work if your volume is RAID1 (redundant).  This may make matters worse, so should probably be a last ditch effort.  But, if you use another drive (any size) to re-initialize the NAS and turn off XRAID, then power down and insert one drive from the old volume, it may import the old (but now degraded because you are using only one of the two drives) volume when you power on.  Note that for that to have a chance to work, you'll have to make sure the volume name on the new drive is not the same as the old one (normally "data") and no shares have the same name (at least that you care to recover data from).  That typically means destroying the default "data" volume after initialization and manually creating a new one with a different name.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try rebooting?

Message 2 of 7
maks327
Aspirant

Yes. I am from the excitement and worries for the data, I pulled out the disks and tried to connect to the computer. all without result. then gathered readynas back

Message 3 of 7
maks327
Aspirant

disk synchronization is complete, but there is no result (((

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I have experimented with export/import, but not on the main volume a lot.  You can import an exported volume (including what was once a main volume, I believe) as another volume into a system that already has a volume with an OS partition, but I don't recall trying to import one to "nothing".  When the new NAS has nothing, you normally just move the drives without an export.

If you do get your volume back, you are going to have to restore protocols and permissions, BTW.  They get wiped on export (or maybe import) to assure compatibility with the importing system.  You also lose any apps.

Now, I have an idea that just might work if your volume is RAID1 (redundant).  This may make matters worse, so should probably be a last ditch effort.  But, if you use another drive (any size) to re-initialize the NAS and turn off XRAID, then power down and insert one drive from the old volume, it may import the old (but now degraded because you are using only one of the two drives) volume when you power on.  Note that for that to have a chance to work, you'll have to make sure the volume name on the new drive is not the same as the old one (normally "data") and no shares have the same name (at least that you care to recover data from).  That typically means destroying the default "data" volume after initialization and manually creating a new one with a different name.

Message 5 of 7
maks327
Aspirant

Thank you very much! Everything worked out! What did you do:

1. Insert a new disk and configure the NAS from scratch

2. Created a volume called FUTUKA

3. Inserted the old disk

4. Through the file manager transferred all data from the old hard disk to the new
Thank you very much!!!

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Great!  I thought it should work, but had never tried it.  I'm not sure if there will ever be another user who needs to do the same, but now I know the solution if it comes up again.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements