× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

system volume root 100 %: RNAS 104 unreachable, NetGear support still not able to find a solution

stebomo
Aspirant

system volume root 100 %: RNAS 104 unreachable, NetGear support still not able to find a solution

Hi,

i'm quite frustrated cause after two year, suddenly RNAS does not work anymore and appear Netgear support are unable to solve a well known problem.

I get a new support subscription after support ask me to pay for the ticket and open it. I'm at the 3rd level of support and 14 days waiting.

I've found a log entry: "system volume root 100 %, contact technical support". That's I did...

I can reach RNAS by web panel, but every thing I try to do I get an error message. 

So I can't have AFP or SMB up, NFS is on but the RNAS is not reachable.

USB disk, usually attached to the NAS, suddenly dissapear.

I can't download from the panel, I can't ftp 'cause nothing appear in the dir list.

I can't access to my data!

NetGear support ask me to put the NAS in TechSupport mode.. but nothing happen after several days.

So they ask me to activate TeamViewer on my mac.... they can't see how to manage 'cause is not in english.

I have no application installed, no mysql or loganalyzer running... just use the RNAS for backup and it's full for only 45% of space available.

Anybody has been running in the same trouble and solved?

Thanks

Stefano

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
stebomo
Aspirant

Re: system volume root 100 %: RNAS 104 unreachable, NetGear support still not able to find a solutio

Actually Leve3 was able to setup the root space successfully !

So at the moment the RNAS works fine 🙂

I have no idea about how space root was no more available. Perhaps apps I installed even I didn't really used and I removed month ago.

Anyway... there is something wrong working under the user control.

I think I'll do a full backup and reset the RNAS to have it clean.

Thanks for your support!

Stefano

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: system volume root 100 %: RNAS 104 unreachable, NetGear support still not able to find a solutio

It is not uncommon for the root partition to fill up - though usually it is due to an app (not in your case).

Hopefully they will get your NAS back up soon.

Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suspect the inodes might be all in use on the root volume. Our L3 saw the data usage on the root volume was only about a third full which is quite normal.

Message 3 of 12
stebomo
Aspirant

Hello,

I can't see if u think it's due by my fault using rnas or it's a OS bug.

I've just used rnas for backup or copy/delete contents and I wonder how could it happen.

Level 3 told me the OS says thereis no more root space but they check is not true.

For a "normal" user, these information mean nothing, don't u think?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Turns out there were a huge number of PHP5 session files under /var/lib/php5/ using up over two thirds of the inodes. That's why the inodes usage was at 100%.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@stebomo wrote:

I can't see if u think it's due by my fault using rnas or it's a OS bug. 

Not sure if that is directed at mdgm or me. There's not enough information on the thread to determine a cause.  Sometimes users who install their own software with ssh can create this problem.  Sometimes third-party apps can cause it.   An OS bug could also potentially cause it.  EDIT- in your case it appears to be a third-party software (PHP5)

@stebomo wrote:

For a "normal" user, these information mean nothing, don't u think?

I agree that folks with no linux knowledge won't understand talk of inodes or root space.  Though folks with no automotive knowledge won't always understand their mechanic either.

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think we allow for 60 something thousand inodes on the 4GB root volume. If you have a lot of small files then you will use up a lot of inodes potentially much faster than you fill the OS volume with data.

The inode stores metadata (data about data) for a file on the EXT4 filesystem. Every file no matter how big/small will have an inode. When an EXT4 filesystem is created one makes assumptions as to how many inodes will be needed and sets how many there will be. This figure can't be changed after the volume is created.

If there are a huge number of tiny files you could use up the inodes much faster than anticipated filling the 4GB root volume with much less than 4GB of data as has happened here.

It appears you have Photos II and VPN Server installed, and very old versions of those apps at that.

Do you/did you have any other apps installed?

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The vpnserver app has now been updated. As there are some known issues with the  Photos II app and 6.6.0 it's probably best to wait before trying to update that one for now.

Message 8 of 12
stebomo
Aspirant

Hi Stephen... sorry it wasn't for you but for mdgm

thnx

Stefano

Message 9 of 12
stebomo
Aspirant

Hi Mdgm,

I understang inode issue.

But I don't have apps installed since month.

When I bought NAS, I check apps I found available to install (and I think suggested/tested from NetGear) linke PHP, MySql, TicketIssue...

last apps not active are Photos and VPN.

Anyway... I wonder why this happen having space available.

Stefano

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like you ran into a bug with the PHP app or some other app.

Anyway things should now be working fine.

Message 11 of 12
stebomo
Aspirant

Actually Leve3 was able to setup the root space successfully !

So at the moment the RNAS works fine 🙂

I have no idea about how space root was no more available. Perhaps apps I installed even I didn't really used and I removed month ago.

Anyway... there is something wrong working under the user control.

I think I'll do a full backup and reset the RNAS to have it clean.

Thanks for your support!

Stefano

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements