Initial Contributor

Phone calls dropping out after 20 seconds

[ Edited ]

We recently replaced our dlink router with the netgear wnr 2000. It works great for the laptops, printer, but not with the polycom ip430 phone. What happens is that when you make a call, you can talk for about 20 seconds, then there is no volume. It looks like the connection is still good, but you can't hear the other person and they can't hear you. If I try calling this phone from another phone, the polycom phone won't ring, but it will put you into voicemail. This phone was fine until moving to this new router ( the other one broke, so going back to that one is not an option ). Anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

Kathy

Regular Contributor

Re: Phone calls dropping out after 20 seconds

put your voip on DMZ from the router interface and also disable SPI in the router interface
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Initial Contributor

I have EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM - although my VOIP calls through VOIPCHEAP via a SIEMENS GIGASET S450IP device (static 192.168.1.8) and handset drop out after "24" seconds!!

As the GIGASET config page states VOIPCHEAP is not registered I presume that my WNR2000 is somehow blocking data through the port 5060??

Anyhow I have tried putting 192.168.1.8 in DMZ, port fowarding 5060 to the SIP device and disabling SPI but to NO AVAIL - am exhausted - but see many others on other forum sites have had same problem - oh I wish I knew the solution.

If I connect the SIP device directly to modem then registration succeeds and all is well. The WNR2000 needs a tweak somewhere??

Many many thanks
N/A

I have exactly the same problem. The call drops after 25 seconds. I'm using a GigaSet C450IP and a WNR2000 router. I tried a softphone - works fine. Plugging the C450IP directly into the internet connection also works fine. I had the C450IP connected to a DLink router for 2 years, and it worked fine - until yesterday when I replaced the DLink with Netgear.

Help!
Initial Contributor

I had the same problem and saw another post on how to fix it.

I have a Polycom SoundPoint 550 SIP IP Phone and a WNR2000 v1 router with Firmware Version 1.2.0.8. The phone would connect and then drop after 20 seconds.

I tried June Mizoguchi's suggestions of put your voip on DMZ from the router interface and also disable SPI in the router interface. Did not work.

The other post suggested downgrading the firmware to version 1.1.3.9. I tried it and now my IP Phone works just fine. Bonus, I did not have to disable SPI or put the phone on the DMZ.

I thought jmizoguchi was supposed to be the expert...
Regular Contributor

buickrivieras wrote:
I had the same problem and saw another post on how to fix it.

I have a Polycom SoundPoint 550 SIP IP Phone and a WNR2000 v1 router with Firmware Version 1.2.0.8. The phone would connect and then drop after 20 seconds.

I tried June Mizoguchi's suggestions of put your voip on DMZ from the router interface and also disable SPI in the router interface. Did not work.

The other post suggested downgrading the firmware to version 1.1.3.9. I tried it and now my IP Phone works just fine. Bonus, I did not have to disable SPI or put the phone on the DMZ.

I thought jmizoguchi was supposed to be the expert...

who said I was expert????
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
N/A

I've had more or less the same issues as above.
I've had a Siemens C450IP running happily on a wired D-Link (DI-604) router. I decided to finally go wireless and purchased a Netgear WNR2000 on Tues of this week (22nd Dec) and ever since all outgoing calls are disconnected at 20sec and incoming calls are intermittently affected but at alow rate.
I rang the netgear support number and the guy tried loading a number of firmwareversions but to no avail. The router was on 1.2.0.8 and I think he upgraded to 1.2.3.7 and claims to also have reverted back to 1.1.3.9 but calls still fail at 20secs.
After an hour the advice was that nothing further could be done and that I could try and take the router back and change it for a newer model WNR2000v2 or a different newer model of netgear.
To me it seems that Netgear simply cannot support home voip service on their routers and the best solution is to not buy Netgear!!! I'll be taking the WNR2000 back and asking for a replacement with some other manufacturer!!!
Initial Contributor

This does seem to be an issue - I have exactly the same problem.

Having had no problems for 12 months with a Siemens C450IP via an old Belkin router, I've installed a WNDR3700 and find all the VOIP calls are disconnected after 20 seconds.

As this is a new model router, I can't really follow advice to go for a newer model.

It's worth noting that I did not need to make any special settings for the old router to work - no DMZ, no port forwarding, it just worked.

So, is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks,
MarkP
Initial Contributor

I had the same problem with a new WNDR3700. In "WAN Settings" check on the "Disable SIP ALG" box under "NAT filtering"
Initial Contributor

Thanks for the tip Gerrycor, I'll give that a try.

MarkP
Discussion Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation