Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Asymmetric Routing and Keep-Alive

jwilliam1203
Aspirant

Asymmetric Routing and Keep-Alive

My company is looking to purchase a VPN Firewall but have specific requirements from a vendor we are using.

Two of these requirements are difficult for me to validate in the technical specifications.

Asymmetric Routing & SLA Monitor/ICMP Ping

I have found in some of the Netgear Technical manuals, such as the ProSafe SRX5308, how to configure a Keep-Alive ping. However, in other models there is no evidence of this feature. Which models support the Keep-Alive ping?

Second, I don't find any mention of Asymmetric Routing support. The vendor requires 2 VPN tunnels and automatic failover if the primary tunnel suddenly becomes unavailable (due to maintenance on the Amazon Cloud). Are there any Netgear models that support this feature?

Thank you.
Jeff W.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Asymmetric Routing and Keep-Alive

@jwilliam1203,

I just want to follow-up if you have further inquiries.  If ever there is none and if your concerns were addressed, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jwilliam1203,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

About the Keep-Alive feature, this is being configured on the VPN Policies via the web-GUI of the VPN firewall.  I believe this is also supported on these other ProSAFE VPN firewall routers: FVS336Gv3, FVS318Gv2 and FVS318N.  

About the Asymmetric Routing feature like what you have described, it is not supported by the ProSAFE VPN firewall routers like the FVS336Gv3 and SRX5308 wherein they are capable of 2 or 4 WAN connections respectively.  However, for example: you have 2 WAN connections on the SRX5308 wherein WAN auto-rollover is configured and you have an IPSEC box-to-box VPN setup with another VPN firewall.  There is an option called "Enable Rollover" when you configure an IPSEC box-to-box VPN wherein if the main WAN connection fails, it would roll-over to the backup WAN connection as well as the VPN connection would rollover to the interface of the backup WAN connection.  Kindly read pages 204-207 of the SRX5308 reference manual here.  

The feature about IPSec VPN Rollover is also supported on the FVS336Gv3.  Kindly read pages 340-343 of the FVS336Gv3 reference manual here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
jwilliam1203
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thanks for the welcome and most of all your reply. Appreciate the detailed information and options you described. I had found those sections earlier in reading through the NetGear manuals for those devices. Since these topics are not in my 'wheel-house', wasn't certain I was interpreting them correctly.

I'll add this information to my notes and on the various NetGear devices we are considering.

Thank you again for all of your assistance.

Jeff W.

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jwilliam1203,

I just want to follow-up if you have further inquiries.  If ever there is none and if your concerns were addressed, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements