Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CG3100 bridge to SRXN3205 delays

tofo
Aspirant

CG3100 bridge to SRXN3205 delays

Have a CG3100 cable modem/router in bridge mode (NAT is off) and the public IP from the ISP is present on SRXN3205.

Inbound internet accesses to servers on the LAN behind SRXN3205 have a lot of long (1..3 sec) delays.

If user is connected to the SRXN3205 through WiFi or Cable everything works fine. Access to inbound server using the public IP or out on the internet there are no delays, but as soon as traffic comes inbound either from the internet or using the cable ports or WiFi on the CG3100 there are numerous delays.

From the CG3100 using cable ports or WiFi outbound traffic has no delays. Delays are present only when requests are routed from CG3100 to the public IP of the WAN port of SRXN3205.

What are the delays?

:confused:
Message 1 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would contact support about CG issues

This unit is ISP branded unit so contact your ISP support
Message 2 of 16
adit
Mentor

If the CG3100 is bridged then you can't/shouldn't use the WiFi on it. You should disable the WiFi and put an access point behind the 3205 if you need it.
Message 3 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
I would contact support about CG issues

This unit is ISP branded unit so contact your ISP support

Thank you jmizoguchi for all the quick replies.

Have sent the ISP and mailed describing my problem but since the outbound requests works fine not much help can be expected. If lucky the helpdesk may occasionally be staffed with someone really interested in routers. I am waiting..

Was hoping for something obvious that I have missed out. Maybe a factory reset of the CG3100 have some effect or settings like "flooding" options made before NAT was disabled or WiFi turned off in the Web GUI or using the front panel button are different things?

Question: If I connect by cable to the CG3100 - are the inbound requests to my public IP first routed to ISP routers and then back to the CG3100 modem and finally to the WAN port of the SRXN3205 or do the CG3100 have some knowledge about the IP on the SRXN3205 and routes internally?

Anyway direct request from the internet to my public IP have the same delays .

Maybe some statistics on the length of delays and in what direction (Tx or Rx) the delay is present could shed some light?
Message 4 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

Could it bee DOS attack protection by the ISP

Fetching a 5k page from the server with the response times grouped in 100 ms intervals show a distribution all the way up to 15300 ms. Note the 50 requests in the 3.1 second range.

Hope the picture displays ok.

From the network of SRXN3205 all 1000 inbound requests fall within the 100 ms range like this:

Message 5 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Been these units are ISP branded unit I have not seen on hand but simple bridge, passing public upto the prosafe should not effect is the case
Message 6 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

Now som basic testing

This is interesting.

LAN side:
Ping is fast and without any packet loss between computers on the LAN side of router SRXN3205 and to the router gateway IP.

WAN side:
If the WAN port of the SRXN3205 is given a fixed IP and a laptop is connected directly to the WAN port given a fixed IP in the same range - pinging the WAN port response times are 1ms. But about 2-3% of the pings fail due to timeout.

I also set the ISP router CG3100 in NAT mode and connected two computers and the SRXN3205 on its WAN. All where assigned IP from the DHCP of CG3100 and ping worked fine inbetween computers except the SRXN3205 that had short response times but sometimes very long causing 2-3% packet loss.

Have tried different cables with same result.

There is something suspect with the SRXN3205 :confused:
Message 7 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would put trouble ticket with support at my.netgear.com
Message 8 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

Ticket activateted with Netgear. While waiting for help I replaced the SRXN2305 with a old Netgear MR814v2 that I rescued from the waste bin. Using the old 1$ device response times are normal and everything works just fine. Ping to WAN and to my public IP is excellent. Think the result will be to replace the SRXN2305 with a new one.
Message 9 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds like bad WAN port after all
Message 10 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

All solved now!

Got a brand new SRXN3205 router from Netgear support and it works great without 3s delays.

1000 internet accesses from WAN side to 6k file - no delays

Case Closed

🙂
Message 11 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Thanks for the update
Message 12 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

Back to square one.

The SRXN3205 is back to square one. Slow inbound response again!!

Have a simple IIS web site behind the router and notices images loaded half way continuing after a few seconds. Behind the router there are absolutely no delays. Using a socket app loading binary gif data directly from the server IP (no client caching) exact same access repeats over and over without problems from any client.

The CG3100 is in bridge mode and any unit connected gets a public IP directly from the ISP. Wireless of the CG3100 is turned off. Only the SRXN3205 is connected to CG3100 using its WAN port.

While testing I added a ThinkPad XP machine with a web server to another port behind the CG3100. It got another public IP from the ISP and served file s without any delays to the internet and also inbound for clients behind the SRXN3205.

Accessed 5000 1kbyte files from the XP machine from a GPRS mobile connection on the internet an all 5000 fetched within 1.2 seconds.

If the exact same access is made to a server from WAN side of SRXN3205 there is a mysterious collection of response times around 3 seconds.

What could be done next?
Message 13 of 16
adit
Mentor

Make sure there is only one default gateway on the server, and that it is the LAN IP of the 3205.
Message 14 of 16
tofo
Aspirant

adit wrote:
Make sure there is only one default gateway on the server, and that it is the LAN IP of the 3205.

Since the process of replacing the unit is lengthy and only helped for a year - encouraged by my master of science in industrial electronics and with earlier experience of deteriorated DC power supplies from Netgear i checked the DC voltage close to the unit and it was 11.6 Volts.

Supported the DC power with an external supply up to 12.00 Volts but problem was the same. Since it is obvious the box has a built in switch regulator i monitored the DC current of my power supply and by 16V DC the current started to drop. (Indicating the built in regulator reached the output voltage - and lucky me nothing else happened) At that voltage the router runs perfect! Not a single delay on inbound traffic on the WAN-port. An inbound terminal session from my GPRS connection over VPN runs like a charm!

I think this specimen of SRXN3205 is now extremely valuable to Netgear and they should send a car to pick it up and send it to the developers for investigation. Obviously there are routers out there with the same potential error.

Warranty void or not I am happy the problem is now located.

:cool:
Message 15 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

nice finding... I would at least tell support at my.netgear.com
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation