Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't loop back into my network

mwarrenasu
Aspirant

Can't loop back into my network

Hello,
Firstly, I apologize for my lack of knowledge - I am hoping someone can help.
Here is my situation: I have an Actiontec C1000A Modem (Century Link) with a gateway address 172.x.x.1, underneath this I have 3 Windows computers with 172.x.x.2+ IPs, and a Netgear Router (FVS318Gv2) that acts as a gateway (172.x.x.201) for 4 static servers (172.x.x.200, 172.x.x.123, 172.x.x.36, 172.x.x.39). I did not enable DHCP on the Netgear Router, as the IPs are static.
I have 2 issues:
1. The only reason why I am employing the netgear router is that I need to expose the four routers (172.x.x.200, 172.x.x.123, 172.x.x.36, 172.x.x.39) publicly (67.x.x.182, 67.x.x.180, 67.x.x.177, 67.x.x.178). This works, BUT my routers can't see the Windows computers directly under the Actiontec, and those computers can't see my servers (in effect, I have created 2 separate networks). I would like to combine the networks. I have tried to simply plug the Actiontec to Netgear cable into the LAN port - and I do end up combining the networks, but then I can't expose my 4 servers publicly. Can I achieve both?
2. A computer under my Actiontec (say, 172.x.x.2) cannot access my server under the Netgear using a public IP (say, 67.x.x.179). I can access that SAME server offsite using the public IP...I am totally dumbfounded.
Thank you very much for your patience and time.
Sincerely,
Matt
Message 1 of 2
fordem
Mentor

Re: Can't loop back into my network

I suggest you draw a diagram showing how these two networks are physically connected, also provide a little more detail on your ip addressing - I don't have a problem with your obscuring the public ip addresses, but at least specify the private (even if you use a, b & c to indicate octets that remain unchanged. It's unclear if the Actiontec is your sole link to the outside world (I don't see how it could be, but your post doesn't detail another connection, or if it does, I missed it). I can't tell you if the Netgear's WAN address is 172.x.x.201 or that's the LAN address, and for that matter if 172.x.x.201 & 172.x.x.200 are on the same network - what does the x represent (other than an unknown), and what's the subnet mask? IF all of the 172.x.x.? hosts are on the same physical & logical networks, there is no reason why they should not see one another, if they are on different logical networks, they won't unless you create routes and have a gateway linking them. Last but not least - what Netgear router are you using? One more thing - if the Actiontec IS the sole internet link, and you can access the servers using their internal address (172.x.x.200) but not the external address (67.x.x.187), the problem is going to be the Actiontec.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements