Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can you use a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall as a regular switch?

Suryashekhardas
Follower

Can you use a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall as a regular switch?

Hello!

I would like to purchase a used NETGEAR FVS336G-300 V3 here in my country and i am getting it for really cheap from a friend, around 35 USD. It also has two gigabit ports from what it looks like in the specs. I am NOT an expert in networking but what i would like to know is

1. Can i use this as a regular network switch?
  2. Will this be a better option than the Prosafe GS108E?

Both the GS108E(amazon) and the FVS336G-300 V3 are for 35 USD. Again, i would like to use the FVS336G-300 V3 just as a plain switch. Will be using it with 4 desktops with lan ports. If this can be used as a normal switch, will it be just plug and play?

Might sound dumb but i am leaning mainly towards the FVS336G-300 V3 because it looks better than a standard gigabit switch.:P

Would like to plug the switch to my existing Xiaomi Router since i have running out of lan ports to work with.

Any input will be of great help! Thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can you use a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall as a regular switch?

Hi @Suryashekhardas,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If you will use the FVS336Gv3 as a plain unmanaged switch, do the following:

1. Assign a static LAN IP Address to the FVS336Gv3 that is within the same IP range of your existing local area network.  

2. Disable the DHCP server.  

2. Connect your existing Xiaomi router to one of the 4 LAN ports of the FVS336Gv3 and use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other networking devices such as PC/s, printers, etc.  Take note that you will NOT use the two WAN ports of it.  

If I will choose between the FVS336Gv3 (as a switch) and the GS108E, I will select the GS108E because you can configure certain Layer 2 settings such as VLAN and Port Mirroring.  The latest model of the GS108E switch is the GS108Ev3 switch.  For more information about the GS108Ev3, kindly access and read the links below:

GS108Ev3 Data Sheet

GS108Ev3 FAQs

If you are just looking for a plain, unmanaged, pass-through switch that will extend your local network giving you additional ports to connect more networking devices, I suggest you the GS108v4 switch.  Kindly check its specifications on the link below:

GS108v4 Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Suryashekhardas,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If you will use the FVS336Gv3 as a plain unmanaged switch, do the following:

1. Assign a static LAN IP Address to the FVS336Gv3 that is within the same IP range of your existing local area network.  

2. Disable the DHCP server.  

2. Connect your existing Xiaomi router to one of the 4 LAN ports of the FVS336Gv3 and use the other 3 LAN ports to connect other networking devices such as PC/s, printers, etc.  Take note that you will NOT use the two WAN ports of it.  

If I will choose between the FVS336Gv3 (as a switch) and the GS108E, I will select the GS108E because you can configure certain Layer 2 settings such as VLAN and Port Mirroring.  The latest model of the GS108E switch is the GS108Ev3 switch.  For more information about the GS108Ev3, kindly access and read the links below:

GS108Ev3 Data Sheet

GS108Ev3 FAQs

If you are just looking for a plain, unmanaged, pass-through switch that will extend your local network giving you additional ports to connect more networking devices, I suggest you the GS108v4 switch.  Kindly check its specifications on the link below:

GS108v4 Data Sheet

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Suryashekhardas,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements