Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot ping my router

Pfiltz
Star

Cannot ping my router

I'm trying to setup Remote Desktop capabilities for the Plant Manager so when he's on the road, he can access the server.  For the life of me, I can't get any access to my server from outside our network no matter what client I'm using or where.

I've disabled all rules for incoming traffic on the router, but still can't ping it.  I'm thinking if I can't ping it, then why would I be able to connect to it.... I could be wrong in my thinking.

Anyway, I can ping the Cable Modem [Charter Comm] static IP that it has, but not the router that is hung off of it.

Can anyone shed some light as to what setting I should look over within the routers config?

TIA

Of course, I could always consider a 3rd party solution like Logmein, Go to my pc, etc....

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Pfiltz
Star

I found the problem.  It was the actual Firewall on the server.  Took me a while to figure out if it was the DOMAIN, PUBLIC, or PRIVATE firewall setttings.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
Pfiltz
Star

One other note.  I took a PC and hung it off the Cable Modem from Charter, assigned it a static IP from a 5 pack that we have.  I drove to our sister plant, pulled up Remote Desktop, and put that IP addy in.  I connected and logged into the PC.  So now I know it's a setting somehwere within the router, but not sure where to look.

Thoughts?

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Pfiltz,

Kindly try to configure an Inbound rule on the FVS336Gv3 to open port 3389 (RDP port) pointing to the LAN IP address of the server.  Afterwards, double-check if port 3389 is really opened on the FVS336Gv3 by using an online port scanner here.  

Kindly read pages 231-233 of the FVS336Gv3 reference manual here about adding an IPv4 LAN WAN Inbound Rule. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 3 of 9
Pfiltz
Star

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have all inbound rules turned off, and your port scanner fails at port 80, 3389, etc...

Here is what I have configured on the Rule for 3389....   Do you see anything there, that is incorrect?

inbound.png

Message 4 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pfiltz,

Kindly uncheck the box that says "Translate to Port Number" then click Apply.  Double-check again using the online port scanner.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 9
Pfiltz
Star

Right now for testing, I have one inbound rule.  It set to allow everything, and still the port scanner fails.

Should the LAN SERVER IP address be the local IP of the router?  Should it be the WAN IP address?  I'm not sure on that matter.

inbound2.png

Message 6 of 9
Pfiltz
Star

Hold up on this.   Let me remove (1) of our 2 routers from the scenario...

Message 7 of 9
Pfiltz
Star

I found the problem.  It was the actual Firewall on the server.  Took me a while to figure out if it was the DOMAIN, PUBLIC, or PRIVATE firewall setttings.

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Pfiltz,

Thanks for the update.  I glad to know that you figured out what the problem is.  I believe you are now able to remotely access the server.  🙂 

If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements