Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting to an SFTP Server

dysonp
Aspirant

Connecting to an SFTP Server

Router: SXRN 3205

I wish to connect to my SFTP server whilst on my LAN and externally. I can do this currently by accessing it via two different routes. If I am working externally, I can SFTP using my domain as follows:

sftp://mydomain.com/path/to/server

If I am working on my LAN, I can access the server directly using its internal IP address which means that the connection is faster. 

Is there a way to use one route ie. sftp://mydomain.com/path/to/server both externally and internally but if I am on my LAN, the connection will be over the  LAN ie faster than going out over the LAN and back again.

Message 1 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dysonp,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What happens if you use sftp://mydomain.com/path/to/server to access the SFTP server on the local network?  If there is an error message you encounter, kindly post a screenshot of it.

b. What is the current firmware of the SRX3205? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
dysonp
Aspirant

DaneA, thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions:

a) It connects but my concern is that it is going out to the WAN and then back into my LAN and, thereby, slowing the data connection down ie. instead of using the data transfer speed of my LAN it will be limited to my ISP connection speeds.

b) Firmware Version:3.1.1-08

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dysonp,

What if you try to set up port forwarding (inbound rule) on the SXRN3205.  Kindly try to open port 22 and pointing to the LAN IP address of the SFTP server.  To check if port 22 is really open, access this online port scanner here.  Then, try to access your SFTP server either locally or outside your network via a browser using the WAN IP address (for example:  http://72.63.x.x:22).  

Hope it helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dysonp,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try my suggestion?  If yes, what are your observations? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
SamirD
Prodigy

By the very nature of dns entries, you can't have it work that way.  If you have one IP for the dns entry, it will use that IP.  If you have two, it will hit each one randomly.

You could have a slightly different dns for your internal lan IP, but again that is a different IP/dns.

There may be a way to do this with static routes where any outgoing connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gets redirected to your lan at yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy, but I've never tried to make such an entry.

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dysonp,

I inquired your concern to a higher tier of NETGEAR Support and just got a feedback.  It seemed that the issue is how the SFTP client decides whether to go to the internal address, or to the external address. The SRXN3205 cannot decide on that.  Thus, that needs to be configured on the SFTP client.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
dysonp
Aspirant

DaneA

Thank you for clarfying. I will investigate with the SFTP client.

Regards

Paul

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dysonp,

I just want to follow-up on this. Any updates?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements