Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Date and time of VPN are not in sync

yomista
Aspirant

Date and time of VPN are not in sync

I have an issue with several VPN routers that's in production.

The weird thing is that a few VPN routers are able to sync with the NTP just fine with date and time updated.

All of them are on fimrware version 4.3.3-6.

The settings that I have for the VPN routers are as per below:

Automatically select for DST

NTP Mode: Sync to NTP servers on the internet

Use default NTP Servers

Is anyone currently facing the same issues ?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
train_wreck
Luminary

@yomista wrote:

I am using both Google DNS servers for IPv4

OK, rules that out.... to be honest, with all of the FVS devices, they can become "corrupted" to where certain features stop working until you do a factory reset & reconfigure. I have seen local DHCP/DNS go out, and completely stop resopnding to DHCP requests or DNS lookups, and the only solution was to reset.

@yomista wrote:

And doing a reconfiguration of the device is not an optimal decicsion as the devices are located in offices around the world which local IT do not have access to.

Then the Netgear devices are unfortunate ones to have in those locations. For as long as I can remember, they MAY require resetting/reconfiguring. I've done plenty of firmware upgrades in place, and as far as I can TELL nothing was broken, but I've also done upgrades where the entire configuration was wiped (uploaded certificates and all). This partly explains why they're so cheap.....

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi yomista,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I suggest you to try to update the firmware of the SRX5308 to the latest version 4.3.5-3.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Check if same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
yomista
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have one questions. Is it really necessary to perform a factory reset after and then reconfiguring it?

It is not applicable to my situation as the Netgear VPN devices are located all over the world and local IT do not have access to it.

Can I just upgrade to latest firmware and skip the factory reset ?

Also, is this a common issue for the vpn devices ? Or am I one of the few affected

Message 3 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@yomista,

As far as I have checked, there are no issues logged on the SRX5308 as per you have described here on this forum thread.  For me, it is recommended to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to have a clean start using the latest firmware version.  

You may upgrade the firmware then check if the problem is fixed.  However, if ever the problem occurs again, then perform a factory reset then reconfigure the SRX5308 from scratch and check if the problem will still occur.

You may download the latest firmware version 4.3.5-3 here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 9
train_wreck
Luminary

Do the routers in question have reliably working DNS servers available to them? The default netgear.com NTP VPN servers are resolved by name...

Message 5 of 9
yomista
Aspirant

Okay, but just wanted to let you know everytime I update the firmware the NTP time sync will screw up.

And doing a reconfiguration of the device is not an optimal decicsion as the devices are located in offices around the world which local IT do not have access to.

Message 6 of 9
yomista
Aspirant

Message 7 of 9
train_wreck
Luminary

@yomista wrote:

OK, rules that out.... to be honest, with all of the FVS devices, they can become "corrupted" to where certain features stop working until you do a factory reset & reconfigure. I have seen local DHCP/DNS go out, and completely stop resopnding to DHCP requests or DNS lookups, and the only solution was to reset.

@yomista wrote:

Then the Netgear devices are unfortunate ones to have in those locations. For as long as I can remember, they MAY require resetting/reconfiguring. I've done plenty of firmware upgrades in place, and as far as I can TELL nothing was broken, but I've also done upgrades where the entire configuration was wiped (uploaded certificates and all). This partly explains why they're so cheap.....

Message 8 of 9
yomista
Aspirant

Thanks , guess I will make do with what I have.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements