Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FR328S Firewall - Re-routing; server dying!

nontechie
Follower

FR328S Firewall - Re-routing; server dying!

Please can a techie advise a nontechie and frustrated business user:

I have a Netgear modem router, linked to a Server running Microsoft Small Business Server 2003, which is linked to a Netgear FR328S firewall into which the various PCs are linked. I need to extract the malfunctioning server from the circuit. If I just shift the cable from the modem directly into the firewall (i.e. just bypassing the server) I get no internet. Do I have to re-setup the entire setup, or what? Please advise. Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Configured as Microsoft would have you do it, you would not have a firewall between the SBS2003 server and the clients, because in Microsoft's grand scheme of things, the SBS box handles the firewall function.

For the client systems to use SBS2003 as designed, the firewall would have to be configured in a "non-standard" fashion - so yes - you will most likely have to re-setup the entire setup.
Message 2 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2372

for one this is such a old router so if you have faster broadband services with your cable ISP, you may want to change it.

been FR328 is still router , you should able to connect you cable modem to FR328. Now been you had FR328 was behind server with ICS (internet conniption sharing) you may need to change some other DHCP configuration when you are putting

cable modem- FR328- server and PC.

you will need to do power cycle cable modem and FR328 in squence.

1. turn off the cable modem and unplug ethernet cable
2. wait for few min (20min)
3. turn on the cable modem only and do NOT plug any ethernet cable
4. wait until all the light up on cable modem
5. ONLY after all the light is up. hook up a router behind the cable modem
6. you should able to get public IP from the ISP and it will show up in the router status when you login the router.

** remove the BATTERY from the cable modem if built-in and follow from #1~

if you don't follow above FR328 may not get public IP from your ISP.

I would first test the FR328 in DHCP and SINGLE pc to make sure you can re-establish the internet then work on your server setup and workstation
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements