Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS316g v2 WAN stays at "Connection State: Connecting..."

LeoMJr
Aspirant

FVS316g v2 WAN stays at "Connection State: Connecting..."

I have followed all of the instructions to setup ipv6 on the FVS318G v2 switch and the "IPv6 Connection State:" always says "Connecting...". i have also tested the ipv6 connectivity without the switch, just with the cable modem and that works.  However when i add the FVS318G v2 switch and follow the instructions, the ipv6 connection is not working.  The firmware version that i have installed is 4.3.5-3...  when i look at the "router status" in the WAN Information section, i see the WAN (IPv6) ip address and gateway and status...  the "Status" says "DOWN".

How do i fix this?  i have looked everywhere on this site and i do not see an answer that does work...

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS316g v2 WAN stays at "Connection State: Connecting..."

@LeoMJr,

Before going to the ISATAP Subnet Prefix, kindly answer questions below to determine the next action:

a. Who is your IPv6 Internet service provider?

b. What type of IPv6 connection you have? Is it Static IPv6, PPPoE IPv6 or need to set up a DHCPv6?  You might need to ask your  IPv6 Internet service provider if needed. 

Also, you mentioned that your cable modem is a combination of modem and router, I suggest you to set it to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device.  In this way, the FVS318Gv2 will be set as the main router.  Configure the FVS318Gv2 for IPv6 internet connection then check if it will work.

Kindly read pages 38-52 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here about IPv6 Internet Connection Configuration and WAN Settings.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
LeoMJr
Aspirant

correction ---  i have the FVS318g V2 - ProSafe VPN Firewall

Message 2 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @LeoMJr,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The FVS318Gv2 is not a switch, it is a VPN firewall router.  Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is your cable modem, a modem-only device or a combination of modem and router?

b. Have you tried to reboot the FVS318Gv2 and check if it will work?

c. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2 then reconfigure the settings from scratch and check if it will work?

Let me share the following article and forum links below as these might help as reference:

Basic IPv6 WAN and LAN Configuration

Connecting to Comcast with IPv6

WAN IPv6 Prefix Delegation doesn't work

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 7
LeoMJr
Aspirant

answers to your questions:

a. Is your cable modem, a modem-only device or a combination of modem and router?

Modem and Router

b. Have you tried to reboot the FVS318Gv2 and check if it will work?

Yes

c. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on the FVS318Gv2 then reconfigure the settings from scratch and check if it will work?

yes

When i follow the Basic IPv6 WAN and LAN Configuration, in the ISATAP Tunnels section there is a question on the ISATAP Subnet Prefix --  what do i enter there?  

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LeoMJr,

Before going to the ISATAP Subnet Prefix, kindly answer questions below to determine the next action:

a. Who is your IPv6 Internet service provider?

b. What type of IPv6 connection you have? Is it Static IPv6, PPPoE IPv6 or need to set up a DHCPv6?  You might need to ask your  IPv6 Internet service provider if needed. 

Also, you mentioned that your cable modem is a combination of modem and router, I suggest you to set it to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device.  In this way, the FVS318Gv2 will be set as the main router.  Configure the FVS318Gv2 for IPv6 internet connection then check if it will work.

Kindly read pages 38-52 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here about IPv6 Internet Connection Configuration and WAN Settings.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
LeoMJr
Aspirant

Here are the answers to your questions --

Who is your IPv6 Internet service provider?

comcast

it is PPTP

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LeoMJr,

PPTP is an IPv4 internet connection not IPv6.  Kindly see page 30 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here about IPv4 Internet connection methods.

Were you able to perform the steps I suggested from my recent reply to you?  If not yet, kindly try it.  Otherwise, if yes and still no IPv6 internet conenction, then possibly that the internet connection that you have is just IPv4 from Comcast.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements