Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318 Intermittent DNS Fail

simonwait
Aspirant

FVS318 Intermittent DNS Fail

Hi

We have several installations of our equipment around the world where we use Teamviewer to connect into the machines.  Each of these setups use a couple of PCs connected to either a FVS318G or v2 on the LAN side.  The WAN connection will then come from a supply provided by the building that our installation is in so this can vary.  These installations have been sent out over a long period and each is essentially set up from scratch (i dont use a settings file to import into the router).

We are starting to find it common for us not to be able to connect in via teamviewer.  The remote PCs are seen as online on our client list but then when connecting we get Waitforconnectfailed from teamviewer.  I initially went looking at problems with teamviewer but we have now realised this coincides with the remote PC loosing the ability to resolve DNS names.  The setup of our LAN side is typically the same with a network on 10.0.0.x / 255.255.255.0 with the FVS318 on 10.0.0.1 and then the WAN side getting a server assigned IP.  In the past we had problems with these routers being accidentally connected to a network which used 10.0.0.x too but we have checked this hasnt happened on the problem installs.

My original plan was to statically set the IP, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers with the DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4.  This didnt seem to work.  I therefore went in to the router settings and upgraded the firmware to 4.3.4 in the hope that might resolve it.  It didnt.  I then tried setting the dns servers statically within the router to 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.4 but again no luck.  

When this happens it will sometimes appear to resolve itself but for no obvious reason.  Another thing I notice is that often I cant connect into the router via http://10.0.0.1 especially when this DNS problem is happening.  Teamviewer once connected though seems to work throughout.  It only struggles when making the intial connection.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 14
ChenX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: FVS318 Intermittent DNS Fail

Hi simonwait

Welcome to the community!

1.How many PCs did you connected to your FVS318G?

2.Can you try to upgrade your teamviewer to the newest version to see the issue is still existed?

3.Or you can try AnyDesk to connect to your pcs?

Regards

Message 2 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

We have different versions currently running on the different installations to prove it wasnt a teamviewer installation problem.  Also this was flagged up by TV but actually the DNS dropout happens system wide.  A typical installation has the router, 2 industrial pcs and two pcs (sometimes mac minis running windwos sometimes laptops.  A mixture of XP, Win7 and Win 10.  Also a mixture of 32/64 bit) so there is not a specific common between them except for a netgear router. 

Message 3 of 14
ChenX
NETGEAR Expert

Hi simonwait

1.Is your dut FVS318 or FVS318G or FVS318V2? FVS318 or FVS318G or FVS318V2 supoort 5 users,did your network traffic overload?

2.Did you config the Security--->Attack Checks--->Block TCP flood or Block UDP flood,these should not be enabled.

3.Can you try AnyDesk to see the issue is alse existed?

Regards

Message 4 of 14
ChenX
NETGEAR Expert

Hi simonwait

Kindly answer the questions below:

1.What is the current firmware of the FVS318Gv2?

Message 5 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

Hi

So the problem starts on various firmware, on 2 of the installations I have now updated to 4.3.4-2 but it didnt help

Thanks

Message 6 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

I would say all installtions have under 5 users, typically 4.  I will check on the Block TCP flood and UDP flood values when I can next connect in.  To install Anydesk will take longer - these systems are set up very specifically so wil have to take a look next week on a system which is about to move venue.  I will first of all make sure that the problem still exists in the new venue on teamviewer (i think it probably will).  Then i will install anydesk and see

Message 7 of 14
ChenX
NETGEAR Expert

Hi simonwait

Thank you for your answers.

Kindly answer the questions below:

1. Did your FVS318Gv2 connect to a modem or switch?  If yes, you disconnect the FVS318Gv2 from the modem then connect a PC directly to the modem, are you able to connect the TV just fine?

2. Are there any recent changes made in the settings of the FVS318Gv2 or changes made within the network setup?

3. When did the issue happened?or it is fine at the beginning?

4. Did you add some block firewall rules in the "LAN WAN Rules"?

Regards

Message 8 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

Hi

OK I am now at one of the installtions whih has this problem.  In this case we have an ADSL modem (192.168.1.1) connected to the WAN of the FVS318Gv2.  All traffic befopre this WAN always maintains internet connection but anything connected to the FVS (10.0.0.1) will loose internet connectivity after a while.  They all seem to have DNS errors,  I have just left the machines on and removed the power from th FVS and internet has come back.  At all times the machines connected to the FVS maintain local network/samba etc.I tried only having machines not running Teamviewer on the network and had the same result so this isnt teamviewer just that the Teamviewer link was what alerted us to the problem

Message 9 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

This is a very common problem I've run across on my FVS's.  Let me check my settings to see what I've done to fix it:

Wow.  It looks like I only put in the 8.8.8.8 dns like you did and that fixed it.  But I'm on firmware 4.0.1-67 on this unit.

Worse case if you can't get it to work in the FVS, just assign the DNS entries to the workstations statically and be done with it.

Message 10 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

Hi 

Yeah i tried putting in 8.8.8.8 /4.4.4.4 inot the ipv4 settings in windows but that seems to have the same result.  Oddly i went and grabbed a standard switch and decided i was going to cut out the fvs318 by just configuring the intermdiate router which was feeding the fvs so that its ip range was 10.0.0.x.  When i came back the fvs sat for about 4 days without a problem.  It was turned off and on and still came back ok (should have mentioned that this whole system is shut down sometimes nightly in some venues and maybe less in others depanding on venue policy.)

Then after 4 days the same issue reapear so sure anough i changed the tplink settings and through a 12 port switch in to give me the number of ports i need.  This has been fine ever since but isnt a neat solution.  maybe i need to investigate other 8 to 10 port routers and get rid of the fvs318s.  Think i might steer clear of netgear in that case just should i fall into the same problem

Message 11 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

If the purpose of getting the fvs was to simply add more ports, you spent much more than you needed to as all you needed was a switch connected to your existing router.

The higher up you go on the business ladder, routers have less and less lan ports because they are typically connected to larger switches which in turn may connect to even larger switches.

For example, at our main site, we have a single cat5 going from the lan ports on our watchguard router to our 48 port gigabit switch, which in turn feeds a 24 port switch, which in turn has almost half a dozen smaller workgroup switches connected in various locations.  It would be a waste to have all these ports built-into a router make make it cost more for many people that wouldn't use it.  Perfect example is the srx5308 and fvs336--both of these have just 4 lan ports.

Message 12 of 14
simonwait
Aspirant

The idea is that this router is rack mounted into a flightcased rack which is moved from venue to venue.  It then has a single WAN port which may be connected to anything from a 3g modem to a larger LAN to get some internet.  At this point we would also ensure that the ip range was what we need.  This is then distributed to 8 clients but space in this rack is limited so want to keep it to one unit.

Message 13 of 14
SamirD
Prodigy

What size rack is it?  If it's a standard size rack, then you should be able to put a router like the fvs318 and an 8 port switch side by side in a single 1u.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements