Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318G and Wake on Wan

techozy
Aspirant

FVS318G and Wake on Wan

Hello,

I've installed a couple of FVS318G together as a VPN network for a customer and i need to get Wake on Wan working.
I've read the forum and someone said it just won't work, without any further technical details... this just don't satisfy my curiosity.

Here's my setup:

1. I've binded MAC / IP Adress of the destination computer in the FVS318G so even when the ARP table is flushed, the router still knows where to send the magic packet
2. I've made a custom service called WOL which listens on ports 7-9 UDP.
3. I've setup that service in the firewall tab so it would send traffic to the destination IP.

I can of course wake up the destination computer from within the LAN, but it won't work by WAN.

It's not the first time i set up a Wake on wan service, but i don't succed with the FVS318G so i'd really need some hints.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Read "Fordem" post on WOL. Well explained
Message 2 of 5
fordem
Mentor

The router doesn't support ip directed broadcast - curiosity satisfied now?
Message 3 of 5
techozy
Aspirant

Yes

And for sure, i'm stuck now with 4 FVS318G units.
I was selling netgear for years (mainly GS724T units and home stuff like DG834 routeurs).
I'm really disappointed, as the same problem has been asked by forum members for years, and netgear didn't do anything.

Customers arent stupid and can be aware of the risk of a braodcast flood. But just disabling the option to "secure everyone" isn't a solution for me.

Anyway, i don't blame you forum guys, thanks for your help.
Message 4 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Don't quote me on this, but, I belive it disabling support of ip directed broadcast is an IEEE directive - I don't where I came across it, and I've been trying to find it again to confirm.

As for your comment on customers not being stupid and aware of the risk of a broadcast flood - let's just say you haven't seen the iceberg - your Titanic may sink yet.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements