Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318G bricked. Help!

ChrisColby
Aspirant

FVS318G bricked. Help!

I have a FVS318G that served me well years ago, but moved and didn't need it until yesterday.  It powered up just fine, and so I  downloaded the latest firmware for it.  When I tried to apply it, I got an "Invalid firmware" message.  Some of the management pages worked, but many would give an <0 message on screen when I tried to go to them.  Now, I can't even ping it.  Any ideas how to fix?  I was at 3.0.8 firmware (pulling from my memory... I can't manage it now).  I've tried resetting to factory defaults, but it just ignores me (and I know I'm pressing the reset button as I can feel it click).  Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: FVS318G bricked. Help!

Hi @ChrisColby,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try the steps below: 

1. Disconnect the FVS318G from your existing network and make sure its turned on.  Get a straightened paper clip.

2. Insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole then press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

3. After 30 seconds, turn off the FVS318G while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for 5 seconds.

4. After 5 seconds, turn on the FVS318G while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for another 5 seconds.

5. After 5 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Wait for the FVS318G to boot up properly and check if you are able to login to its web-GUI. 

What is the behavior of the power LED, test LED and other LED lights of the FVS318G?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETEGAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
ChrisColby
Aspirant

Does this advice ever work?  In researching my problem, I've seen this suggested numerous times (and I tried it), but have never seen it work.  It didn't fix my switch.

When my switch powers up with nothing attached, first the power light comes on, and then an instant later the green light of all the ports come on for a half second or so, and then they all go out and just the power light remains lit.  Shouldn't the 'Test' light come on for a few seconds?  When I connect my laptop to it, the llink light for the port comes on and the amber 100mb light comes on as is appropriate.  I try to ping the switch (192.168.1.1), and both the port's lights slowly flash, but the switch does not reply.  All I did to break this was to try to load the latest firmware onto the switch.  Just my laptop was connected to it, and it still bricked.  Very disappointing, that, especially when I had done the same procedure a few times previously without incident.  The switch is connected to a high quality surge protector, so I don't believe bad power fried it.  Just the Netgear provided firmware did.

I"ve tried the TFTP procedures found elsewhere, but it can't find the switch (as evidenced by the switch not responding to my ping attempts). Any other ideas? 

Thanks.

Chris

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChrisColby,

The FVS318G is not a switch, it is a VPN firewall router.  Since the power reset procedure did not work and based from your observation of the LED lights, I conclude the FVS318G is faulty and it needs a replacement.  I suggest you to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly state the status of the FVS318G and the troubleshooting steps done.  You will need to submit a .doc or .pdf copy of the Proof of Purchase of the FVS318G for warranty verification.  If ever the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will follow. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
ChrisColby
Aspirant

The device is WAY out of warranty, but was working fine until I tried updating the firmware.  I'm sure that the upgrade process is what bricked the router (even though only one device was connected to it when it got bricked). Will Netgear replace my device because of its faulty firmware procedure, or am I SOL?

Thanks.

Chris

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChrisColby,

I apologized for NETGEAR will not be able to replace your FVS318G since its already out of warranty.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR CommunityTeam

Message 6 of 8
ChrisColby
Aspirant

I figured as such.  But I'll say this.  If I took my car to the dealership and they did something to it that broke it, even if it was out of warranty, I'd expect them to repair or replace it.  Me getting an "Invalid file format" error (which resulted in bricking my device) when I tried applying the latest firmware to my Netgear device was "the dealer's fault" in this case.

Chris

Message 7 of 8
SamirD
Prodigy

These units have a lifetime warranty so as long as you can find the receipt, you'll get a replacement.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements