Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318Gv2 won't respond to pings to WAN port

Oceantech
Follower

FVS318Gv2 won't respond to pings to WAN port

I installed an FVS318Gv2 about a year ago to provide a firewall between public and private networks in an industrial plant. Recently, my client asked me to change the WAN side IP address, which I've done, but can't get it to respond to pings to prove the change. On the Web Configurator Security/Firewall/Attack Checks page, I have checked the "Respond to Ping on Internet Ports" tickbox, and unchecked the "Enable Stealth Mode" tickbox, but to no avail. Can anyone suggest what I might have missed?

Sorry, no config file because this forum doesn't allow attachments, and it's too big to insert in line (posting limit of 20,000 characters).

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 7
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: FVS318Gv2 won't respond to pings to WAN port

Hi Oceantech,
Welcome to the community!

Please check the firewall rules,make sure there is no firewall rules to block ping.

In general,if want to ping FVS318Gv2 wan port,only to enable "Respond to ping on internet ports" on "Security->Firewall->Attack check" page.

Thanks.

Message 2 of 7
phxdonald
Aspirant

Any other replies to this, as Oceantech said he had already checked the "Respond to Ping on Internet Ports"?  I am having this same issue, and am also unable to remote manage.  I did just update the Firmware to 4.3.4-2 and ran a constant ping during the update and reboot process.  During the reboot it did respond for about 5 requests but then went back to timing out.

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi phxdonald,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Was it working before?  

b. How is everything connected?  It would be best if you post a diagram (.img or .png file) of your detailed network setup.

c. Is the WAN IP address registered on the FVS318Gv2 a Public IP Address?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phxdonald,

I just want to follow-up on this. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
phxdonald
Aspirant

I was able to figure this out.  I had a LAN Rule for RDP setup, but I had failed to add the proper service/port, so all traffic was going trying to go to the IP in the LAN Rule.  Once I straightened that out, everything else fell into place.

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@phxdonald,

Nice to know that you have figured it out. 🙂  I'm glad it works now.

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements