Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318Gv2 won't stay up

frickebrett
Aspirant

FVS318Gv2 won't stay up

I opened a discussion a few weeks ago where I couldn't get this thing working, but I was able to get some great help to get it working. Let's try again. 

Things have been going great, and all of the sudden, I lose connectivity out of nowhere. I tried three restarts tonight. I've upgraded the firmware, I restored the configuration file from when things were working. 

What could cause things to be so inconsistent? Would DNS issues cause this? Should I be using Google DNS? DynDNS? 

I could use any suggestions at this point. 

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is this the first time that the problem happened?  If not, how frequent does this problem occur? 

b. Was there a sudden power outage that happened in your area? 

c. If you connect a PC directly to the Motorola SB6141, are you able to go online without losing connectivity? 

d. Have you tried to check with your ISP if they did some changes on their end that might trigger the lost of connectivity through the FVS318Gv2? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

Thanks for the rapid response.

A. I had issues 2 weeks ago but got those straightened out, those had to deal with router setup. Nothing that presented the way this did.

B. No power outage, I even have the FVS308Gv2 on a battery backup.

C. If the PC is plugged into the Modem, everything works fine. It's just when I go back to the Router, I can't browse the internet.

D. My ISP said nothing changed yesterday. They obviously said my hardware was probably faulty.

I can give the whole story/my troubleshooting so far. Last night I was playing Battlefield 1 on my Xbox One, when I got kicked out of a game and I couldn't connect to their servers. At the same time, my girlfriend told me that her Instagram feed stopped loading. I verified that I had a valid connection to my ISP (Midco) and I then rebooted the FVS318Gv2. It takes about 2 minutes to fully boot up. After it looked like it was all booted up, my modem flashed a light that it was connected to a router, but I could not even load 192.168.1.1 to see settings or anything. I factory reset the router and I was able to hit the internet for about 2 minutes, long enough to download the latest firmware for the FVS318Gv2. After another reboot and not connecting the router to my modem, I was able to update the firmware and I restored the configuration file I had saved after my last bout with Netgear Support. It seems to be working for the time being, but I purchased the FVS318Gv2 because I was looking for business grade products that are able to give me better quality and more uptime.

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 3 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

It seems that you have opened an online case with NETGEAR Support regarding your concern.  Kindly keep us posted about the progress of it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

I still seem to be having issues. They have me trying the same sort of troubleshooting you helped me with before. The mac spoofing in particular. I changed the primary and secondary DNS servers to Google servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The connection still dies for about 5-10 minutes every 2 days. The latest time, everything came back by itself, other times I need to restart the router. I am at my wits end.

Message 5 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

I did do some digging and I was wondering, should I be running the DHCP service of the FVS318Gv2? Lease time was set to 24 hours, could this be what is causing the network blip?

Message 6 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I don't think that the DHCP service would cause the problem.  I suggest it would be helpful that you set up a syslog server on a PC then enable syslogs on the FVS318Gv2.  Once the same problem occurs again, it will be recorded via the syslogs.  After that, attach the syslogs to your online case for it to be analyzed by the engineering team as to why same problem recur.

Kindly read pages 353-357 of the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here on enable syslogs.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up on this.  How is your FVS318Gv2?  Were you able to get the syslogs from the FVS318Gv2 and attach it to your online case?  Keep us  posted about the progress of your online case.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

Everything seems to be behaving as of lately. I had the DHCP server set to renew every 24 hours, and oddly enough, I would have issues at the same time every day. I stayed up super late one night and changed the settings so it renews every day at 2am. Since then, I have not had any issues.

Message 9 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

I'm glad to know that everything seems to be good. 🙂   Hope it stays that way all the time.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

The issue seems to have returned. I have added a few new devices to my network, a Google Wi-Fi access point and 2 Google Home systems. I get notifications now when my WiFi network is missing because the Google Home's verbally alert me. I get an alert at either 7:15ish in the morning or 7:15ish at night. The Google WiFi application shows that I have no network connectivity, I check the one PC I have connected to the FVS318Gv2 shows "limited connectivity", "No internet access", I can connect to 192.168.1.1 and see it is still up, and then a few seconds later, connectivity is back.

It is such a pain because then I have to restart the Google WiFi to regain connectivity. I haven't changed anything else. It was working so well.

Message 11 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

Does it mean that by the time you have connected the Google devices within your network setup, the problems have recur on the FVS318Gv2?  If you disconnect the Google devices from the FVS318Gv2, are you able to go online just fine?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up on this.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

I just wanted to indicate that I made a change to my network that alerts me when it goes down. Basically, the setup is the same, just with more WiFi devices. I can stream for hours, but at roughly 9pm-ish now (the last restart I did was at 9am a few days ago), streaming stops and my Google Home announces, "I cannot connect to the internet". About a minute later, connectivity has been restored and I can go on my merry way. I just want to find out why is it that at 12 hour intervals, the FVS318Gv2 goes down for a minute? I wanted a business class product that could give me maximum uptime and I am just not extremely frustrated.

Message 14 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

It would seem that the system logs coming from the FVS318Gv2 should be checked.  I suggest you to setup a syslog server on one of your PCs that is directly connected to the FVS318Gv2.  Kindly access this link as a guide.  Then, do the steps below on the FVS318Gv2:

1. On the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2, go to Monitoring > Firewall Logs & E-mail.

2. Check the boxes on the Routing Logs section, System Logs section and Other Event Logs section.

3. On the Enable Syslogs section, select Yes on 'Do you want to enable syslog?

4. Enter the IP Address of the PC you have setup as the syslog server in the Syslog Server field.

5. Select LOG DEBUG on the Syslog Severity.

6. Click Apply. 

It is best that the problem will happen in the event while syslogs are running so that it will be captured.  After you've captured the syslogs by the time the problem has occured, save the syslogs on the PC.  Then, open an online case with NETGEAR Support and state your concern.  Attach the syslogs on the online case.  The syslogs will be forwarded to the engineering team to be analyzed why the FVS318Gv2 won't stay up continuously.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

I appreciate your help. I may have to call them as I am just out of the 90 day email support span.

Message 16 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

Since the 90-day phone/e-mail support warranty on the FVS318Gv2 has expired, be reminded that you are entitled with Lifetime Chat Support.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 21
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi frickebrett,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 18 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to open a chat case with NETGEAR Support?  If yes, kindly let us know about the progress of it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 21
frickebrett
Aspirant

I have basically given up on this for now. I will take your advice and try and set up the software on an extra PC that I have lying around. I switched to the Google WiFi for my primary router and just have a JGS24PE doing the switching. I am sort of over the whole thing because it shouldn't be this hard to have a stable connection.

Message 20 of 21
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@frickebrett,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements