Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N NAT Not Translating Some ICMP Packets Properly

jxdomb
Aspirant

FVS318N NAT Not Translating Some ICMP Packets Properly

I'm having a weird, intermittet problem that I have troubleshot to a degree by capturing packets on the private side of my FVS318N and also on the public side.  Occasionally, ICMP packets originating in the private network show the private IP source address rather than the correct public IP address after traversing the router to the public side.   Naturally this results in the ICMP response packet not ever making it back to my site and hence the ping is not completed.  Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior before and have any ideas?  I do have Wireshark private and public captures showing this behavior and also am saving the syslog from the FVS318N, however I am not experienced at viewing the syslog.  Thanks for any ideas!

Model: FVS318v3|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch
Message 1 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS318N NAT Not Translating Some ICMP Packets Properly

Hi jxdomb,

Welcome to the community!

Before we proceed on checking your syslogs. May you be able to upgrade it first to the latest firmware then reset it to factory default? Let us monitor the firewall afterwards.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
jxdomb
Aspirant

JohnCarlo, the firmware is already at the latest level of 4.3.5-3.  I did a factory reset on the unit and will monitor for the issue and keep you posted.  Thanks!

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 3 of 8
jxdomb
Aspirant

JohnCarlo, I've had an outage occur since doing the factory reset on the FVS318N unit.  For a period of about six hours the router was not correctly translating the private source IP to public IP via NAT.  I have the wireshark capture file and the syslog for the period in question.  Let me know how you'd like to proceed.  Thanks for your assistance!

Message 4 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jxdomb,

May you be able to specifically explain the issue that you were having? As you were saying that it was not correctly translating the private source IP to public IP?

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
jxdomb
Aspirant

JohnCarlo, yes, precisely.  ICMP packets are not translated properly via NAT as you describe.  I have the wireshark capture files and router syslog files that show this.  Thanks!  -John

Message 6 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jxdomb,

I've seen your logs and packet capture already and we may need to further check your existing network. You do also have an ongoing Oncall 24x7 contract for your device, Let's take advantage of that. I suggest you to open a chat / case online on NETGEAR support and please let them know the status of the firewall, also please attach the logs on the support case.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
jxdomb
Aspirant

Thanks, JohnCarlo, I will open a case with support.  Thanks for all your assistance!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements