Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N allow login "By Source IP" with IPV6 address

trentm
Aspirant

FVS318N allow login "By Source IP" with IPV6 address

Hi All -

I'm trying to enable limited WAN side administration of my firewall by specifying IPs to allow.

I have this working great on IPv4 from my work machine but my home computer (Comcast) only reports IPV6 on whatismyip.com so I guess I need to control it that way too...?

I click menu banner Users

Then select my admin user (the default admin is disabled and I'm using one I created) and open policies.

Click to tab "By Source IP Address"

Documentation all shows a IPV4 | IPV6 radio selector in upper right but I don't have that and the spot to enter addresses only has IPv4 octets.

My LAN side is all IPV4. I thought maybe setting the router to "IPV4 / IPV6 mode" might enable the selection but it does not.

Other Network config screens like WAN Settings (where docs also show the radio selector) give me separate tabs for 4 vs 6.

Am I missing a step? Maybe I need a firmwear upgrade. It is on 4.0.1-67 which may be pretty old?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@trentm,

Kindly upgrade the firmware of the FVS318N in a ladderized manner.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.0.1-67 to v4.1.0-27. Then from v4.1.0-27 to v4.1.1-8  and so on until you reach the latest firmware v4.3.4-2.  Use a PC that is directly connected to the FVS318N in upgrading the firmware.  You may download the firmware versions of the FVS318N here.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi trentm, 

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Just want to clarify, are you subscribe with an IPv6 internet connection with Comcast? 

The current firmware v4.0.1-67 you have on the FVS318N is an old firmware.  I suggest that you upgrade the firmware in a ladderized manner.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.0.1-67 to v4.1.0-27. Then from v4.1.0-27 to v4.1.1-8  and so on until you reach the latest v4.3.4-2.  Perform the firmware upgrade using a PC that is directly connected to the FVS318N.  You may download the firmware versions of the FVS318N here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
trentm
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA

Let me try to clarify a bit...

The network with the Netgear firewall is at a colo. The colo network and my daytime system both use IPv4.

At home I just have a regular home account with Comcast and was surprised to see when I browse to whatismyip.com it reports an IPV6 address.

I was hoping to be able to set the user security by ip address to only allow my daytime and home systems to remotely administer the firewall.

Filtering remote admin of the firewall to my daytime IP (v4) is working correctly. I am trying to setup rules to also allow remote admin of the firewall from my house but can't get that screen to show IPv6 input.

Maybe when I catch up on firmware it will allow both...?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@trentm,

At your home, it seems you have an IPv6 internet subscription that is why it reports an IPv6 address when you browse whatismyip.com but not where the FVS318N is deployed since you mentioned you have an IPv4 connection at the "colo" network.

Refer on the image below.  Do you have an option to select IPv6 on your FVS318N as shown where the arrow is pointed to on the image below? 

As reference, kindly read pages 312-313 of the FVS318N reference manual here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
trentm
Aspirant

@DaneA

Thanks for sticking with me. Pictures worth a thousand words. Didn't notice I could insert images in my earlier posts 😕

I do not have that:

BySource.JPG

This is what I was unclearly attempting to ask in my OP "Documentation all shows a IPV4 | IPV6 radio selector in upper right but I don't have that."

I guess my real question is: is getting that option to appear a configuration issue, or a firmware/version issue?

I also mentioned "Other Network config screens like WAN Settings (where docs also show the radio selector) give me separate tabs for 4 vs 6"

My version:

WanModeMe.JPG

Documentation:

WanModeManual.JPG

This all seems to me to point to a firmware issue, but was just hoping to get confirmation of that.

Seems I probably need to make a trip to the data center.

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@trentm,

Kindly upgrade the firmware of the FVS318N in a ladderized manner.  For example, upgrade the firmware from v4.0.1-67 to v4.1.0-27. Then from v4.1.0-27 to v4.1.1-8  and so on until you reach the latest firmware v4.3.4-2.  Use a PC that is directly connected to the FVS318N in upgrading the firmware.  You may download the firmware versions of the FVS318N here.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@trentm,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to update the firmware of the FVS318N to the latest version?  If yes, what are your observations?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
trentm
Aspirant

It will take me some time to schedule a maintenance window on this production site so for now will workaround by remoting to my work system and then a second hop to the router.

This seems like the the problem so I'm marking as the accepted solution and will update the topic (if it lets me) after I am able to do the updates.

Thanks for the help @DaneA!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements