Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS318N requires periodic reboot

WMC
Follower
Follower

FVS318N requires periodic reboot

I reviwed the community article titled FVS318N router keeps dropping network connectivity, which was closed due to inactivity.  I'm having the same problem where the router runs for about a week or so then stops forwarding traffic.  I can ping the router but can't ping through it.  I cannot connect to the Web Management Interface. I have not tried to telnet into the router yet. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have not downgraded firmware because I've seen ample evidence that won't fix the problem due to posts noted in the first paragraph.

It sounds like some sort of memory leak but there is no way that I've found to list available memory from the Command line interface or the Web Interface. Does anyone know how to list available system memory? Having that capability would allow me to monitor memory over the week to see if the available system memory gets smaller and smaller.

Message 1 of 43
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello WMC, 

Welcome to the community!

I suggest opening a support case for this one so it can be isolated properly. Were you able to download the logs and see anything that is out of the usual? I have seen a case logged similar to the issue you are having but it is better to get the techs involved so that we know if it is the same issue. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 43
joe_schmo
Tutor

You ever get this sorted?  I just upgraded the FW this weekend and now I have the same problem as you.

Message 3 of 43
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello joe_schmo, 

What firmware version are you using on your FVS318N? I cannot confirm that there is a memory leak issue since I don't see one reported on our logged issues. Still waiting for @VMC to open a support case for this one. Can you provide me some details about your network and did the issue started right after updating? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 43
joe_schmo
Tutor

Thanks for reaching out....!  After owning this fvs31n (2nd one), plus a gs752tp, 3 readynas, wifi routers, etc, I was starting to lose faith...  So tody, I got anoter out of memory exception.  The log is here: http://pastebin.com/V7zfNCfw

Please take a look and see what you think...

Message 5 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joe_schmo,

Were you able to perform a factory reset on the FVS318N after you have upgraded the firmware?  If not yet, kindly perform a factory reset then reconfigure the FVS318N from scratch and check if same problem occurs.  It is recommended to have any device be reset to factory default setting after a successful firmware upgrade.

Also, for the firewall logs to be analyzed, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support here and attach the firewall logs.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 43
joe_schmo
Tutor

You are kidding!  I mean, re-doing everything from scratch would take forever, especially my DHCP reservations.  Argh

Message 7 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joe_schmo,

I apologize for this.  However, as I have mentioned, it is recommended.  It is also a way to isolate the problem.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 43
joe_schmo
Tutor

No worries... I did this and upgraded to the latest firmware...

Some things to note/ask:

I am in stealth mode.  I have two ports being forwarded, port 1000 UDP and port 1001 TCP.  If I do an external port check, it shows port 1000 closed but port 1001 open. 

- Is that what should happen?  Is there a way to make 1001 appear to be stealth?

Second, does this log look OK? http://pastebin.com/BuaHjRhx

Specifically: HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change.

and " Loaded VPN Configuration "  ( I don't have VPN configured, so why is that there? ).

Message 9 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi joe_schemo,

Kindly try to uncheck then re-check "Enable Stealth Mode" as shown below: 

About the logs, it would be best to open an online case with NETGEAR Support then attach the logs to it as well as indicate your concern/s.  The online case will be escalated to the engineering team for the logs to be analyzed.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 43
joe_schmo
Tutor

If I uncheck the box and then click Apply, the page comes back with:"

"Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

Then if I navigate back to the Attach Checks tab, the box stays checked.  There doesn't seem to be a way to uncheck it.

Message 11 of 43
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello joe_schmo, 

Are you connected wirelessly while trying to change the settings on the firewall? What browser are you using? Regarding the question about the stealth mode, AFAIK when you have it enabled all ports should not respond so I'd say it is not normal that one of the two ports are responding to an external port checker. Did a little search for the "quantum of class" messages and it appears that those are Linux QoS errors, probably some QoS settings done on the router is affecting the bandwith or there is too much traffic and it exceeds the capacity of the device. For the "Loaded VPN Configuration" on the log, I may still have to look for an explanation about that. Follow DaneA's advice to contact the support team so that they can take a further look on your router. 

Thanks, 

Message 12 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

I have A FVS318N running latest firmware. Recently changes over from DSL to Cable with 190 MBit / 30 Mbit connection bandwidth. I'm able to attain these speeds without the Netgear firewall in place all the time.

I created my configuration for the Cable setup from scratch and am able to get the speeds advertised with the Netgear FVS318N in place. however, after a certain amount of time (I have been unable to determine how long) the speeds achieved throu the FVS318N drop to below 30 Mbit down and up.

The only solution to regain the 190Mbit down speed is to reboot the firewall

The firewall log contains several indicators that there is a memory leak in the current firmware:4.3.3-6

Sun May 15 18:12:30 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:12:00 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:11:30 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:11:30 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data
Sun May 15 18:11:00 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:10:50 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:10:40 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:10:35 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:10:35 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data
Sun May 15 18:10:30 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data <4
Sun May 15 18:10:30 2016(GMT+0100) [FVS318N_Rogier][Kernel][KERNEL] Should overwrite TID here for NULL data

Please help

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 13 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rlcarper,

Welcome to the community! 

Does it mean that the problem started when you have switched from DSL connection to cable internet connection?

Have you tried to uncheck Block TCP/UDP Flood as shown below and check if same problem occurs?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

The DSL conenction was only 8 Meg down and 1 Meg up. SO I never reached the limitations of the unit. A couple of months ago I posted this problem on this forum, under another username (noibla) seems taht the profiles have been removed on the forum.

I have enable Block TCP flood, with 100 packets per second ( maximum setting)

I have enabled Block UDP flood, with 100 ( minimum is 25)

Stealth mode is enabled.

disabling TCP flood does regain some performance, but only back to 140 Meg instead of the 190 Meg available.

What are the recommende security settings for TCP and UDP flood for this connection speed?

Is there any better product from Netgear available that can achieve the 250 Mbps or higher through put with security enabled?

Message 15 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rlcarper,

Have you already tried to reset the FVS318N back to factory default settings then reconfigure it from scratch and check if same problem occurs?

If ever you want to consider other NETGEAR VPN Firewall, you may want to check the FVS336Gv3.  For more information about FVS336Gv3, check these links below:

FVS336Gv3 Data Sheet

FVS336Gv3 FAQs

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

Hi Danea,

As from the previous community thread I had already completely rebuilt the configuraition from a factory default starting point to the current configuration. In the previous case I found out that enabling traffic manager impacts the performance of the device. Now it seems that overtime, the device's performance drops. Maybe time for an upgrade on the memory and the processor?

The alternative firewalls lack wireless connectivity, and are not really an option

Message 17 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

After disabling the Attack checks for TCP, without reboots, the performance drops to 5 Mbps down and below 1 Mbps upload.

Time for a new firmware?

Message 18 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rlcarper,

I do not have any news if NETGEAR will release a new firmware version for the FVS318N.  Also, we cannot conclude yet if this is a bug on the firmware.  

Here is my suggestion.  Access the Packet Capture Tool on the web-GUI of the FVS318N.  Go to Monitoring > Diagnostics.  Then on the Diagnostics page, see the Router Options.  Click the Packet Trace button then choose WAN on the Select Network options.  Check pages 379 on the FVS318N reference manual here.  

Once you have started the packet capture, begin to surf the Internet until the speed drops down from 190Mbps to 30Mbps.  Stop the packet capture only when the problem occurs.  Then, download the packet capture on your PC.  For the packet capture to be analyzed, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support then let them know about your concern.  Attach the packet capture on the online case you have opened for it to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

I believe that the packet capture would be so big that the memory of the router would be already full before finishing the capture.

how about the analysis of log entries? They clearly indicate a memory leak...

Message 20 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rlcarper, 

It would be best to at least try using the Packet Capture Tool of the FVS318N. 

About the logs, you may attach it on the online case that you will open with NETGEAR Support for it to be analyzed.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 43
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello rlcarper, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 22 of 43
rlcarper
Tutor

Hello,

The issues is not resolved. When I enabled teh PCAP to run, the resulting PCAP did not contain all of the generated traffic. So the PCAP tool is of little/ no use here.

Message 23 of 43
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rlcarper,

Firmware v4.3.3-8 has just been released for FVS318N.  For the meantime, kindly try to update the firmware of your FVS318N to v4.3.3-8.  Be sure to reset the FVS318N back to factory default settings after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Observe if same problem occurs. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 43
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@rlcarper wrote:

Hi Danea,

As from the previous community thread I had already completely rebuilt the configuraition from a factory default starting point to the current configuration. In the previous case I found out that enabling traffic manager impacts the performance of the device. Now it seems that overtime, the device's performance drops. Maybe time for an upgrade on the memory and the processor?

The alternative firewalls lack wireless connectivity, and are not really an option

@2M: This is what the culprit was eventually. If you enable the traffic manager, the unit will warn for performance drops. I removed this and was able to get my 190/30 speeds, but now after a while, the speeds drop, hence my comment on memory leaks...

Message 25 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements