Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS336G with SBG6580 limited download speed

mythic1
Aspirant

FVS336G with SBG6580 limited download speed

I am running an SBG6580 in bridged mode through my FVS336G. If I connect my computer directly to the SBG6580 I'm getting 50mbps down and 5mbps up. But when I connect my FVS336G my download speed is limited to 30mbps.

I have done the all the troubleshooting I can with my ISP, Time Warner, and it's apparent that the the bottleneck is the FVS336G. My firmware is update to the new version, v3.0.7-24. Is there a setting I can change to fix this issue or is my firewall unable to achieve speeds above 30mbps?
Message 1 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: FVS336G with SBG6580 limited download speed

Firewall overhead can reduce the throughput even this model can handle 60 Mbps on WAN
Message 2 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

Is there anything I can do in the firewall settings to change this? Or would I have to bypass the firewall somehow?
Message 3 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Did you creat any rules?
Message 4 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

No I didn't. I can send you my .cfg file if needed.
Message 5 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

I'll do a hard reset and check my speeds again.
Message 6 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and I'm still getting the same 30 down, 5 up speeds. Tried again through the SBG6580 and my speeds were 50 down and 5 up.
Message 7 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WAN of the FVS336 has public IP... just double checking....
Message 8 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

Not sure I understand. How would I check that?
Message 9 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://interface.netgear-forum.com/FVS336G/wan1_setup.htm

WAN status..

make user that you did bridge mode on Moto device and public IP is showing
Message 10 of 19
mythic1
Aspirant

I RMA'd the unit and the new one solved all of my problems. Thank you for the help.
Message 11 of 19
ivenn
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue, but my public IP address is showing. I do have some firewall rules, but nothing complex. What else can I check?
Message 12 of 19
WestGigFibre1
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Firewall overhead can reduce the throughput even this model can handle 60 Mbps on WAN

The FVS336G v1 could do at best 58 Mbps WAN/LAN speed with the FIRST firmware back in January 2008 but since then with each new release of bug fixing firmware it has made the FVS336G v1 and v2 slower and slower and slower.

Netgear IS VERY MUCH AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM but gives all kinds of smoke and mirrors double talk to try and weasel their way out of dealing with the problem. Netgear has been aware of the problem since January of 2012 and two (2!!!) years later has done nothing but will tell you when you call their warranty department that your FVS336G needs to be RMA'd. So even though you know better, you play along and two replacements later you end up with EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS! Netgear continues to sell these FVS336G v2 with the 60Mbps WAN/LAN spec speed knowing full well that if you use the latest firmware it won't get that speed.
Message 13 of 19
WestGigFibre1
Novice

mythic wrote:
I did a factory reset and I'm still getting the same 30 down, 5 up speeds. Tried again through the SBG6580 and my speeds were 50 down and 5 up.

I have a 50Mbps down / 10Mbps up connection and having tested with 2 FVS336G v1 and 3 FVS336G v2, I have NEVER seen a faster speed than 36Mbps down and up,... well to be fair it's only a 10Mbps upload speed but still I see around 22Mbps. If I place a notebook PC on the connection (direct CAT5e at the telco closet) without a FVS336G v1 or v2 in front then I see 79 to 81Mbps download and 22-23Mbps upload speeds as tested with speedtest.net.

It's the FVS336G firmware that has fixed the bugs they had and in turn crippled the WAN/LAN speeds by as much as 50%. So much for the maximum 5% overhead rule of thumb.
Message 14 of 19
WestGigFibre1
Novice

mythic wrote:
I RMA'd the unit and the new one solved all of my problems. Thank you for the help.

Have you updated the firmware on the RMA replacement you received to the latest Firmware Version 3.1.1-08?

When you do update the firmware, to fix potential bugs you may experience, you'll end up with a lot less than 50Mbps.
Message 15 of 19
WestGigFibre1
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:

What do you mean?
Message 16 of 19
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Hey WestGig. Instead of creating fire on other end-users posts about how NetGear Sucks, why don't you just stop and speak with Netgear. If you have and aren't happy with the results, why don't you just do what I suggested rather than infuriate yourself further. It sounds like you've been pissed off for 2 years. That is a long time to be upset. The "rule of thumb" isn't an actual measurement device since it was originally intended to serve as an excuse for spousal abuse. The fact of the phrase though is that everyone's thumb is a different size and that the rule of thumb of is not absolute. I'm not going to waste more of my time on this since you seem to be beyond resolution and all you want to do is shout and stamp your foot like a child rather than act like an adult. If you pose legitimate questions in the future, I will give you answers to the best of my ability. Good luck to you sir.
Message 17 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You have to admit some people are born to rant.... just saying...

I agree push issues to Netgear.
Message 18 of 19
WestGigFibre1
Novice

Daedalus01 wrote:
Hey WestGig. Instead of creating fire on other end-users posts about how NetGear Sucks, why don't you just stop and speak with Netgear. If you have and aren't happy with the results, why don't you just do what I suggested rather than infuriate yourself further. It sounds like you've been pissed off for 2 years. That is a long time to be upset. The "rule of thumb" isn't an actual measurement device since it was originally intended to serve as an excuse for spousal abuse. The fact of the phrase though is that everyone's thumb is a different size and that the rule of thumb of is not absolute. I'm not going to waste more of my time on this since you seem to be beyond resolution and all you want to do is shout and stamp your foot like a child rather than act like an adult. If you pose legitimate questions in the future, I will give you answers to the best of my ability. Good luck to you sir.

What would you consider an 'acceptable overhead' (in %) on a router for losses based on what the specs listed by the manufacturer are and real life?
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements