Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FVS336Gv3 vs WNDR4500

jwake
Aspirant

FVS336Gv3 vs WNDR4500

Apologies if I'm in the wrong section, I could not find a router community.  My question is which router should I use as my WAN gateway, an FVS336Gv3 or a WNDR4500?

Here's the background...

I was looking to setup parental controls on my router (FVS336Gv3) but quickly learned the firmware does not support it.  I do however also have a supported wireless router (WNDR4500) on my home network, although I use the FVS336Gv3 for DHCP and to connect to the internet.  The WNDR4500 is just for wireless, my phone, tablet etc. (same subnet).

I did this because I figured the setup would be faster overall this way and because I felt I might need VPN also. I was also hoping to connect directly to my providers fiber (avoid their converter box) but never managed to find the adapter I needed.

If I switch these, i.e. make the WNDR4500 my primary router (and remove the other altogether) will performance be any different, i.e.worse?  Are there any other considerations I'm missing?

This is a home setup BTW. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jwake,

The FVS336Gv3 doesn't support parental controls or LPC and the WNDR4500, only supports VPN passthrough. Just check the recommended setup below and post a reply if you have any questions.

1. WNDR4500 (main router or gateway) -> FVS336Gv3 (secondary router - could be on the same LAN or a different LAN) You will have LPC setup in your network, but VPN feature from the FVS336Gv3 won't work.

2. FVS336Gv3 (main router or gateway) -> WNDR4500 (secondary router - could be on the same LAN or a different LAN) You can use all the features of the FVS336Gv3, but you won't be able to use the LPC feature of the WNDR4500.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
jwake
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

Thanks for spelling this out clearly.  I have scenario 2 now and will probably re-arrange to go with scenario 1.  Under this scenario, would you expect that I'll see any degradation of throughput with the WNDR4500 as the gateway?  Based on price alone I would have to think that the FVS336Gv3 is a better (faster?) piece of kit.

Also - under this scenario can I have the FVS336Gv3 as the DHCP server, or would it have to be the WNDR4500?

Thanks,

-john

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jwake,

WNDR4500 has better LAN throughput than FVS336Gv3 according to their respective product datasheets. I suggest you test them individually and which comes up better, make it your DHCP server.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements