Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS338 internet router to comcast

RichELMey
Aspirant

FVS338 internet router to comcast

I am trying to use my fvs338 to connect my home network to a comcast cable modem to connect the network to the internet.

I had no problem doing it when I was using it on FIOS. we moved and the only available ISP is Comcast.

I have no problem connecting any node on the internal network but can't get to the Internet. I have upgraded the Firmware to the latest version Comcast has reset the their device. I have reset mine.

Comcast is using v6 on their network so the fvs338 need to do v6 to v4 translation is this possible?

If not what suggestions do you have.

Message 1 of 15
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FVS338 internet router to comcast

Hi RichELMey,

Welcome to our community!

FVS338 is one of our old units and it does not support ipv6 function, so there is no way that we can translate the ipv6 to ipv4.

Regards,

Message 2 of 15
RichELMey
Aspirant

I suspected as much.

Do you have any suggestions as to a replacement?

Message 3 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

Hi RichELMey,

Before recommending you a firewall or router, may I ask what are the features or functionalities that you are currently using with your FVS338 that you will need with a newer firewall or router? Another thing is that Comcast must still be using IPv4 as it is not yet obsolete. Many ISPa are supporting both IPv6 or IPv4, so I think you can still use your FVS338 depending on how the Internet is setup with your Comcast modem. For example do they have a static IP address set on your modem? You may want to clarify this with Comcast and the modem that you ahve with them as there is still a chance you can still use your FVS338.

I would be happy to assist you on how you can still manage to use your FVS338 once we have more information of your Comcast modem configuration.

Sincerely,

nxixn

Message 4 of 15
RichELMey
Aspirant

I am looking for a solution to a problem.

I recently moved and had to go from FIOS to Comcast. This meant my Netgear FVS338 could no longer connect to Internet, though the internal network works fine.  The FVS is an old combination hardware router, 8 port 10/100 switch + a firewall. I believe the problem is that the FVS338 will not handle ipv6 so I am looking for something to handle the translation from Comcast's ipv6 to ipv4 that the FVS338 can handle. The devices on my internal network are mostly 10/100mhz devices, though I will be purchasing computers that are capable of 1ghz.

The research I have done suggests that an edge router will do the job. Am I correct? 

what device do you have that will solve the problem.

Thank you in advance.

Message 5 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

Hi RichELMey,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a few questions I would like to ask below:

1. What is the brand/maker of yru Comcast modem? i.e Xfinity business modem.

2. What is the type of Internet service you have with Comcast? Is it static or dynamic?

3. If you connect a PC directly to your modem, please check the IPv4 or IPv6 that the PC gets? To do this open CMD on your PC and type ipconfig /all and press enter.

Message 6 of 15
RichELMey
Aspirant

I am putting the answers imbedded in your questions

Dualband Wifi 801.11ac is the only name I can find

1. What is the type of Internet service you have with Comcast? Is it static or dynamic?
    1. Dynamic

2.If you connect a PC directly to your modem, please check the IPv4 or IPv6 that the PC gets? To do this open CMD on your PC and type ipconfig /all and press enter.

1. There is no CMD on the Mac. I opened terminal and at the prompt typed ipconfig/all and got no such file or directory
  2. I then opened the network system preference in the standard pane I got the following
    1. Under config IPV4   USING DHCP
    2. IP address 10.0.0.3
    3. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    4. Router 10.0.0.1
    5. DNS server (grayed out)75.75.75.75.75.75.76.76, 2001:55…
    6. Searchdomains (grayed out)hsd1.md.comcast.net
    7. IPv6 address 2601:14d:4100:c…:225:4bff:fea5:f0ae
  1. I then went to the advanced pane and got the following under the tcp/ip choice
    1. The first four parameters are the same followed by
    2. Config IPv6 automatically
    3. Router fe60::f60e:83ff:febf:64e5
  1. This is followed by a list of 3 IPV6 addresses starting with
    1. 2601:14d:4100:cb3e with a prefix of 64
Message 7 of 15
RichELMey
Aspirant

I have posted a reply to you twice but it doesn't appear on the thread.

What is happening?

Message 8 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

Hi RichELMey,

I'm not sure why but could you paste them again I did not get your answer in my last response.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

@RichELMey wrote:

I have posted a reply to you twice but it doesn't appear on the thread.

What is happening?

I still did not get your response. 

Message 10 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

@RichELMey wrote:

I am putting the answers imbedded in your questions

Dualband Wifi 801.11ac is the only name I can find

1. What is the type of Internet service you have with Comcast? Is it static or dynamic?
    1. Dynamic

2.If you connect a PC directly to your modem, please check the IPv4 or IPv6 that the PC gets? To do this open CMD on your PC and type ipconfig /all and press enter.

1. There is no CMD on the Mac. I opened terminal and at the prompt typed ipconfig/all and got no such file or directory
  2. I then opened the network system preference in the standard pane I got the following
    1. Under config IPV4   USING DHCP
    2. IP address 10.0.0.3
    3. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    4. Router 10.0.0.1
    5. DNS server (grayed out)75.75.75.75.75.75.76.76, 2001:55…
    6. Searchdomains (grayed out)hsd1.md.comcast.net
    7. IPv6 address 2601:14d:4100:c…:225:4bff:fea5:f0ae
  1. I then went to the advanced pane and got the following under the tcp/ip choice
    1. The first four parameters are the same followed by
    2. Config IPv6 automatically
    3. Router fe60::f60e:83ff:febf:64e5
  1. This is followed by a list of 3 IPV6 addresses starting with
    1. 2601:14d:4100:cb3e with a prefix of 64

I think it was delayed when your answer was posted. Anyway, it shows that you are in a double NAT situation. Your Comcast Xfinity modem is a modem/router combination and is actually a wireless capable too. Based on the IPv4 you have with your MAC computer it is evident both IPv4 and IPv6 is provisioned by Comcast. I think we can still get your FVS338 work with it; however, we have two options, first, the easy way to get them work together is to ask comcast to set the xfinity modem to a fully bridge mode only. This means losing the wireless feature and mostly the router functions of it. Second, is will require a few changes on the FVS338 firewall settings. I guess you could start this first and see if it works and then you decide if you are better with this setup. The main thing you might expect to have trouble in the future is the VPN connection on the FVS338 might not work. We can talk about this further if you want to ask some questions once we got it working as it is too much to elaborate.

Now, let do the second option that I am recommend you to try:

1. Access your FVS338 admin page. According to the manual on this link http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/FVS338_RM_28Jan2010.pdf, please go to page 33 and set the following:

Internet (IP) Address (Current IP Address):

Select the radio button to "Use Static IP Address" and set the IP below:

IP Address: 10.0.0.10

IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address: 10.0.0.1

On the "Domain Name Server (DNS) Servers", please select the radio button to "Use These DNS Servers" and set the following:

Primary DNS Server: 75.75.75.75

Secondary DNS Server: 75.75.76.76

Click Apply button.

See if you can now connect to Internet behind the FVS338. Please note, connect the Internet Port or WAN port of the FVS338 to one of the LAN ports of the Xfinity modem.

I look forward to your results.

Message 11 of 15
RichELMey
Aspirant

I will try your second solution but is there a device that I can use to replace the fvs338 that will allow for the use of ipv6 nat rather than 2 levels of ipv4 on by the comcast device and the second by the netgear device. don't like havinig nat on nat.

Message 12 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

Hi RichELMey,

I do not see that the FVS338 supports IPv6 as it is older. I would best guess that you are stuck using IPv4 only. If your behind devices will benefit more using IPv6, please consult your ISP for futher recommendation. Unfotunately, it appears that NETGEAR already announce the EoL for all firewall line, please see their site on this link: 

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/security/vpn-firewalls.aspx

I would still say that you can use IPv4 with your devices with the FVS338. If you want to consider updating to a better firewall asdly you option wouldbe to look at other manufacturer firewalls.

Please let me know your results with my second option.

Message 13 of 15
mullshred
Aspirant

similar as to the question above we have a flower shop with Spectrum /TWC as the service provider. The ae have a block of 5 usable static IP addresses Their  Arris modem is in bridged mode with NAT disabled.I can assign anyone of the static numbers to a PC on the network and itreaches the internet with no problem.When I assign one of the statics to the FVS 338 it saves the configuration but cannot access the internet. I tested the conection rebooted the devices in the correct order. We have the indentical set up working at our other shop I have to be over looking sometihng any help is sincerly appreciated

Model: FVS338|Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall with 8-port switch with Dial Backup
Message 14 of 15
NXIXN
Apprentice

wrote:

similar as to the question above we have a flower shop with Spectrum /TWC as the service provider. The ae have a block of 5 usable static IP addresses Their  Arris modem is in bridged mode with NAT disabled.I can assign anyone of the static numbers to a PC on the network and itreaches the internet with no problem.When I assign one of the statics to the FVS 338 it saves the configuration but cannot access the internet. I tested the conection rebooted the devices in the correct order. We have the indentical set up working at our other shop I have to be over looking sometihng any help is sincerly appreciated

Hi mullshred,

Please share the 5 static IPs and the model of the modem provided by your ISP and I will make a configuration that might help you get the Internet working. If you could tell me what are the uses of each public IP behind the firewall i could use that to specify your firewall inbound rules, i.e web server or RDP (remote desktop protocol).

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements