Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FWG114P Router acting as DHCP not behaving correctly

eliassal1
Aspirant

FWG114P Router acting as DHCP not behaving correctly

Hi, I have this router runs as DHCP and works fine, network 192.168.1.0. All clients gte right details. I have established a lab with 3 VIrtual machines with a different subnet 192.168.95.0, one of them is  win 2K12 wichh acts as DNS and DHCP for the lab. I added a static route on the router so my machines on the 1st subnet can connect to this subnet which works fine except I discovered any annoying problem.
One laptop win10, om the subnet 192.168.1.0, alwys used to get its ip from the router 192.168.1.5. Since I added this static route on the router, this laptop started to get its IP stack from the other DHCP on the 192.168.95.0 DHCP. Why FWG114P is not handling this specifi machine incorrectly as the query reaches it 1st as iot the default gateway, why iots DHCP is handing the query to the other DHCP in the 2nd subnet
Thanks

Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: FWG114P Router acting as DHCP not behaving correctly

Are both DHCP servers on the same broadcast domain?  If yes, then that would explain it.

Message 2 of 5
eliassal1
Aspirant

If I understand well your question, NO.

The router DHCP, always served for machines attached to mydomain.net and it is their default Gateway

The 3 lab machines (1 serves as DNS and DHCP for a domain called my2ndDomain.demo, server and win 10 are attached to this domain)  in the other subnet 192.168.95.0

AS I said, I added 1 static route to the router for subnet 192.168.95.0, its Gateway is the IP of the Hyper-V machine 192.168.1.28 that is hosting the Lab and it is working fine except this strange behavior where the laptop in the 192.168.0 is getting IP details from the DHCP in 192.168.95.0 DHCP. When I stop the DHCP server in the subnet 192.168.95.0 and do IPCONFIG /renew on the laptop, it gets back its IP details from the router correctly

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Is the Hyper-V machine set up to route or bridge between the two subnets?  If it's bridging, then DHCP requests on the 192.168.1.0 subnet are going to leak over to the 192.168.95.0 subnet and the lab DHCP server is going to answer.  The other possibility is that the Hyper-V is set up as a DHCP relay.

Message 4 of 5
eliassal1
Aspirant

Do you mean that the DHCP role is etup on the HYper-V?

No, the HYper-V has no DHCP role setup?

Do you mean a property configured in the HYper-V settings? if yes, what is this property and in which place I can find it?

I have only 2 virtual swithces setup on 2 NIc cards

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements