Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firewall settings for Chrome Remote Desktop

martinav
Guide

Firewall settings for Chrome Remote Desktop

I need Chrome Remote Desktop to work ASAP.  It worked great until I installed a FVS336Gv3 firewall.  Its the 5th hour now, and still no joy.  I can see computers are online (outside my firewall), but attempts to connect fail from every PC in my network.  CRD works great on my internal network, so local settgs are fine.  Its not Kaspersky or Norton.  It has to be the firewall.  No other explanation.  I need instruction to allow CRD to pass.  The needed information from google:

Your computer's firewall may be configured in a way that doesn't let the app work properly. Verify that your firewall permits outbound UDP traffic, permits inbound UDP responses and allows traffic on TCP ports 443 (HTTPS) and 5222 (XMPP)

I have tried lots of combinations of rule settings in the firewall with no joy.  How the hell do you do it?

Thank you,

Rod

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi martinav,

If ever you have already configured inbound firewall rules for TCP ports 443 (HTTPS) and 5222 (XMPP) on the FVS336Gv3 that points to the LAN IP Address of your PC, kindly verify if its really open by using an online port scanner like here.  

Let us know the result.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi martinav,

If ever you have already configured inbound firewall rules for TCP ports 443 (HTTPS) and 5222 (XMPP) on the FVS336Gv3 that points to the LAN IP Address of your PC, kindly verify if its really open by using an online port scanner like here.  

Let us know the result.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
martinav
Guide

Nothing is open.  Not even 80. 

The checked port (5222, service xmpp-client) is offline/unreachable

I have no idea if its even done right.  Lets start there.  This is where I left it after worthless hours of messing around with it:

192.168.157.103 is the internal IP of the PC i'm trying to use to connect to my external PCs.  Please advise...

ng1.jpg

ng2.jpg

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@martinav,

It seems that you have configured the Services and the LAN WAN Inbound Rules properly.  Hope that the WAN IP Address registered on the FVS336Gv3 is a Public IP Address.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
martinav
Guide

Well, does it matter, since I'm not trying to get IN my network, but I'm trying to connect OUTSIDE of my network.  This worked great before the firewall.  Does having the firewall in some way require some change in my outside IP address?  I would not think so. 

Thoughts?

BTW, my outside IP is NOT static.

Model: FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@martinav,

Since you want to remotely connect outside your network using Chrome Remote Desktop, then it seems that there is no need to configure LAN WAN Inbound Rules.  However, you might need it if ever there will come a time that you want to remotely connect to your network from outside using Chrome Remote Desktop.  

Here are my questions below:

a. If you will connect your PC directly to the modem, are you able to remotely connect going outside your network using Chrome Remote Desktop? 

b. Is your modem a modem-only device or a modem-router?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@martinav,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements