Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware file invalid or corrupted

okokok
Aspirant

Firmware file invalid or corrupted

I am trying to upgrade my router's firmware. I receive firmware file is invalid or corrupted when I hit the upgrade button. I see there is a convoluted telnet via Mac and TFTP method that someone used but want to know a real solution to this issue. Is anyone else having this same issue?

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi okokok,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. What is the firmware version you are trying to upload to the FVS318Gv2?

b. Is the PC you are using to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2, directly connected to it?

c. Have you tried to download again the firmware then upload it again to the FVS318Gv2?

d. Have you tried using other browsers like Firefox to access the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2 then upload again the firmware?

e. Have you tried using other PCs/laptops to isolate the problem?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@okokok,

I just want to follow-up on this.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 23
DougBird
Aspirant

I'm seeing the same problem.  Firmware version is FVS318Gv2_v4.3.4-2.  Downloaded (twice) this afternoon using Firefox version 48.0.2.  Attempted to install both times using a Mac direcly connected to the firewall and using same Firefox, and got the "Firmware file invalid or corrupted" message both times.  Ideas, especially solutions, appreciated.

Message 4 of 23
picsinc
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue.  My FVS318Gv2 is running firmware 4.3.3-6.  I tried to upgrade to any newer versions (4.3.3.8, 4.3.4.1 or 4.3.4.2) and all failed with firmware file invalid or corrupte.  I also tried multiple downloads of the firmware and none succeeded in upgrading my router.  Modem had been reset to factory default settings and the admin password is the only configuration change I made prior to my attempt in upgrading the firmware.  Please help !!

Message 5 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi picsinc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly try to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 via TFTP.  Kindly access the article below as your guide:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi picsinc,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 via TFTP?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@picsinc,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  

If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 23
okokok
Aspirant

I hace tried multiple pcs and multiple beowsers and have receivwd tge same error trying to upload the latest firmware. What makes matters worse is that i am receivibg and invalid certificate error as well
Message 9 of 23
okokok
Aspirant

I have tried multiple pcs and multiple browsers and have received the same error trying to upload the latest firmware. What makes matters worse is that i am receiving and invalid certificate error as well

I looked at tge tftp solution.... net gear would have us sownload software from a third party called shadowsoftware?
Message 10 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@okokok,

Shadow software is just one of the available application online that would make a PC become a TFTP server.  You may use any other TFTP server software that you are already familiar with (for example: TFTPD32, Solarwinds TFTP server, etc.) 

Let us know the results if you have already tried upgrading the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 via TFTP.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 23
allwires
Aspirant

I would like to confirm the reported problem of "firmware file invalid or corrupted". Today, I tried to upgrade my firmware using the method I have been using for years, and is outlined in the Release Notes. Simply stated, I would down load the firmware file, and upload it to the router, via a wired network. I have in the past used both Linux, and Windows machines without any difficultly. Until today. The TFTP server method as stated on the Netgear webpage, is to "reload firmware onto a NETGEAR router that won't boot due to corrupt firmware". My FVS318Gv2 router functions normally. It will boot normally, and it's firmware is not corrupted, as it functions normally in every way.

The moderator suggested that the following questions be answered:

a. What is the firmware version you are trying to upload to the FVS318Gv2?

>>> From version 4.3.3-6 to 4.3.4-2 <<<

b. Is the PC you are using to upgrade the firmware of the FVS318Gv2, directly connected to it?

>>> Yes, after trying to upgrade my router firmware in the same manner as I have done so in the past, when that failed repeatedly, I connected my router directly to the PC(s). I try a linux machine with firefox, and a windows 10 machine with IE. <<<

c. Have you tried to download again the firmware then upload it again to the FVS318Gv2?

>>> Yes, Netgear provides 2 places to download firmware files, I used both software sources. Both firmware downloads failed for "firmware file invalid or corrupted". <<<

d. Have you tried using other browsers like Firefox to access the web-GUI of the FVS318Gv2 then upload again the firmware?

>>> Yes, I tried firefox on linux, and IE on Windows 10 <<<

e. Have you tried using other PCs/laptops to isolate the problem?

>>> Yes, I used 2 completely different PC machines. Both hardware, OS software was different, as well as Browsers. <<<

Firmware Upgrade Process as stated in the "Release Notes"...

Note: Reboot the firewall before beginning the update process.
Select Administration > Settings Backup and Firmware Upgrade from the main/submenu.
In the Router Upgrade section, click Browse.
Locate the downloaded file and click Upload.
This will start the software upgrade to your VPN firewall. This may take some time. Do not interrupt the upgrade process.
At the conclusion of the upgrade, your firewall will reboot.

I followed this procedure exactly, and have done it this way many, many times over the years.

So, do I have to set up a TFTP server now??? Is that the solution, or could the firmware file actually be corrupted???

Also... I have had the "invalid certificate error" as stated by okokok, but this has been a ongoing issue with the FVS318Gv2 router since purchase, it is easily corrected with Linux/Firefox, and I have been able to update firmware without issue, by just downloading the file, and uploading it to the router. No TFTP server needed.

Message 12 of 23
allwires
Aspirant

I am adding this additional post as supporting information, and questions for the Netgear Firmware Engineering team. Also, hopefully this will provide research information for customers seeking a solution to their firmware problems regarding the FVS318Gv2 router. It seems that in additional to the customers who have reported this firmware issue within this forum, other customers are noting it as well. This is a partial posting from a Amazon review for the FVS318Gv2 router device:

>>>> BAD FIRMWARE! STAY AWAY FROM 4.3.3.6!!, October 9, 2016

This review is from: NETGEAR ProSAFE FVS318G 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall (FVS318G-200NAS) (Personal Computers)

I have two of these, and firmware upgrade fails on both of them. Current firmware is 4.3.3.6... After I installed 4.3.3.6 firmware, any further upgrades fail.

The manufacturer commented on this review NETGEAR says:

We apologize for your experience with the FVS318G-200NAS. There are a few steps we could recommend, if you haven't tried them yet. You may find them in the following link:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-netgear-router-usi...
If you still need further assistance, you may reach us directly at netgearbusiness@netgear.com. We appreciate your business and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
NETGEAR Business <<<

The TFTP server method as stated on the Netgear webpage, is to "reload firmware onto a NETGEAR router that won't boot due to corrupt firmware". Again, my FVS318Gv2 router functions normally. It will boot normally, and it's firmware is not corrupt, as it functions normally in every way. Is the TFTP server method a "known to be good" Netgear engineered solution??? I ask that because the moderator is seeking feedback to know if his suggest works. Also, it seems odd that Netgear would point it's customer to use a 3rd party solution to correct a very critical, and on going problem with their firmware. Are their any security implications for using a 3rd party software solution??? Any detailed information from Netgear to help me, and others understand the correct, and engineered solution to this known issue would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it would be helpful if this problem was brought to the attention of the Netgear Director/Manager of Firmware Engineering and Development for review???

Thank you.

Message 13 of 23
allwires
Aspirant

It seems that the advice to "try and let us (netgear) know" TFTP method to upload the latest firmware is NOT a workable solution.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/Need-instructions-to-update-FVS318Gv2-firmware-beyond...

Again, posting this information for customers seeking information about the current state of firmware upgrading for this router, or people seeking information related to a purchase decision. I personally do not have the option to use the "try and lets us know if it worked" solution. So, is it at all possible to get a lab tested, engineered, known to be good, workable solution to this firmware issue for this Netgear router?

Message 14 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@allwires,

It would be best that you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support about your concern.  Kindly state your concerns as well as the research you did about firmware v4.3.3-6 and a NETGEAR Support expert would respond to you for further assistance.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 23
allwires
Aspirant

Dane,

With all due respect, since I am not the original poster, and I was confirming that I was in fact experiencing the same issue as the original poster, and since it would seem that this problem with the firmware seemingly is effecting additional customers, myself included, I see no reason to take the solution "off board", since the fix will benefit all customers researching the reported problem with the firmware.

I was solely offering supporting information that the original poster reported problem was not unique to him, and is in fact affecting at least 4 customers, but it is widely known that people tend to not upgrade firm, so I would surmise that this firmware issue is affecting a number of customers, and has just not been reported in the numbers that would justify a public response from Netgear. I generally do not upgrade firmware for feature benefits, but since the last recent releases are, in part, to correct exploit issues, I thought I would install the updated firmware. Actually, how this problem developed, and Netgear's response has been beneficial to me. I learned a lot.

Anyway, I am abandoning the Netgear FVS318Gv2 due to this firmware problem, and the SHA1 issue as well for another device, and will watch from the background to see how this plays out. I might apply your suggested TFTP fix to the Netgear router when time permits, and relegate it to a backup device. Other customers can attempt your suggestion to use the TFTP fix, or contact Netgear support privately for additional technical support.

Thank you for your input.

Message 16 of 23
okokok
Aspirant

Unfortunately I no longer have phone support and I am not going to pay for it. Chat is not available. I will have to wait for them to become available. If this is a security issue. Netgear should be supporting this even if they have an small idea that this is a Firmware development issue. Net gear should be reaching out to those affected proactively to resolve with a supportable fix. These routers are not cheap. I have bought maybe 4 of them as the generations have progressed starting with the nonG versions. I am frankly starting to look more toward  other brand since Netgear seems to be a time waster vs the other products I have from other vendors that just work.

Give me the ability to speak with someone and I wil. I will be happy to spend time explaining the situ and helping craft a supportable solution that will assist others if there is anyone else out there interested

Model: FVG318v2|ProSafe 802.11g Wireless VPN Firewall 8-ports
Message 17 of 23
gearneterb
Aspirant

All,

I was able to fix this problem successfully using the method posted here.

Good luck.

erb

Message 18 of 23
jgarceau
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as many others with upgrading my firmware from 4.3.3.6 to ANY other firmware.

I have attempted to upgrade through the router GUI using multiple different web browsers and computers.

I have attempted to download the firmware from Netgear multiple times.

I have tried the recommended netgear article "How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP" using TFTP2.exe software and manually reseting the router by pressing the reset button while powering on (I do not get any blinking lights like the article states I should be getting).

I have also tried using another TFTP solution from another user using solar winds TFTP.

Nothing has worked and the router continues to disconnect my network access every few hours.

Has anyone found another solution other than throwing the router off an extremely tall bridge? This makes me not want to buy Netgear again, as I have had ongoing issues with this router.

Thanks!

Message 19 of 23
jgarceau
Aspirant

So after a lot of patience and persistence, I was FINALLY able to update the firmware using solar winds TFTP. I conducted incremental firmware updates from the corrupt 4.3.3-6 version to 4.3.4-2 version. Not sure what happened but after trying to update the firmware using TFTP multiple times, it finally started to update. As a note, it stalled about 3 times before it finally took the 4th time.

Good luck to others...

Message 20 of 23
ViolationofTrst
Aspirant

DaneA,

I keep getting the corrupt file problem over and over. I just want to be clear here. I am not happy.

A. I didn't buy a wireless router to get aggrivated and upset.

B. I don't want to spend my time looking for solutions to problems I didn't create.

C. It is ridiculous that your products don't maintain themselves. I don't get paid to make sure NETGEAR's products work properly. I paid NETGEAR for a product to work on its own. Imagine buying a cellphone that you have to maintain. Think about how less complex a router is compared to a cell phone... Yet the router is the complex device in need of complex support. It's nonsense.

D. Your "help" is useless when the product you're trying to support is junk and your advice is based on guesses.

E. NETGEAR is a scam. These products are meant to break. The software is meant to fail. Your company has 1 star when it comes to customer service and satisfaction. Why is that? Just some random chance of events that has led to the lowest rating possible? Only in some fantasy land would that make any sense. The company is scamming people into buying junk from them. 

In closing I would like to say that I think taking my business elsewhere is probably the best thing to do since the majority of the reviews about your products indicate that giving NETGEAR more money is the only way to fix the defective products and services. Wouldn't it be money ahead to just buy a new router for less than the cost of "help" from you guys? You don't help, you're not helping. You're throwing shots in the dark at defective products. You must know this. Everyone else already does, except these poor fools that took your suggestions and actually thought they'd work.

We're all not suckers. NETGEAR already suckered me once. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Right now all the shame is on NETGEAR's shoulders.

All of your suggestions failed to work. Now what do you suggest? Filing a complaint with NETGEAR. This is how people end up doing more troubleshooting for free for NETGEAR before NETGEAR hits them with the sales pitch to get an "expert" involved for a fee. Save your breath, have some integrity and just say, "It's a scam. Just go buy another one and save yourself the hassle, time, and money."

Message 21 of 23
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ViolationofTrst,

I apologize for the inconvenience and thanks for posting.  We normally asked questions to isolate the problem and suggest steps that might resolve the problem.  If ever all of the troubleshooting steps were already exhausted and still the same problem, I suggest you open a chat or online case with NETGEAR Support for further assistance.  There are some instances that the chat or online case gets escalated to the engineering team for further investigation.  If the device is proven faulty, then a replacement will follow for as long as the hardware warranty is still valid.

If ever your 90-day Phone & E-mail Support has already expired. There is a Lifetime Chat Support that is available 24x7 for ProSAFE devices.  Kindly check it here and see if your NETGEAR device is covered by the warranty terms.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 23
gearneterb
Aspirant

@ViolationofTrst:

I understand your frustration; believe me, I do. Been there, done that (didn't get the t-shirt, though). Not to be the guy standing up for @DaneA (or Netgear, for that matter), the thing that you should understand is that some of us have a different perspective on this issue:

1. We can't afford to go the cheap consumer-level equipment route, because that comes with too many potential security holes, and it doesn't have the functionality or flexibility that we or our clients need. And it usually can't be updated, even if there is a problem.
  2. We don't necessarily want an "upgrades itself" solution either, because that can lead to unpaid customer service calls. In many cases, once we get the problem fixed, it stays fixed. We don't need new problems coming up spontaneously on their own!
  3. We're not a big company (nor are our typical customers), so we can't afford to go with the full-on, pay-whatever-it-takes, big-dollar-annual-service-contract mode of buying networking equipment that comes with other suppliers such as, well you already know who they are.

So, we end up with Netgear, because they occupy the middle ground where we have to occasionally put in the anoying time and effort to make things work the way they should. Like plowing through the online forums to find the answer to how to fix this &$!@% router. And it's also why people like me occasionally decide to give back and take the time to type out all of the gory details of how to fix that unfortunate corrupt file problem once and for all (also linked in my reply three posts above yours on this thread).

So, in closing, good luck in your quest to find a better answer for yourself.

erb

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements