Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection through WAN on FVS318G

rsjpx
Aspirant

How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection through WAN on FVS318G

Hi,

I'm having trouble setting up outbound/inbound rules to allow for Remote Desktop Connection through WAN.  Is there some tutorial or reference guidance page that I can use?  I'm behind a 4-port modem that has one public static IP assigned to it.  I have a connected to one port the ProSafe VPN FVS318G, and it gets assiged an IP address 192.168.0.2 (which I'm somehow seeing as the assigned broadband IP).  But I there's an existing network setting that ranges from 192.168.22.1 - 192.168.22.254.

Thanks in advance,

rsjpx

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection through WAN on FVS318G

Hi rsjpx,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems that the 4-port modem you got is a combination of modem and router that is why the WAN IP address registered on the FVS318G is a private IP address.  I suggest that you set the 4-port modem to full-bridge mode so that the WAN IP address that will be registered to the FVS318G would be a public IP address.  

After you've done what I have suggested, you will need to configure an inbound rule to allow port 3389 for Remote Desktop Connection.  Kindly read pages 4-11 and  4-15 to 4-18 of the FVS318G reference manual here about LAN WAN Inbound Services Rules and Inbound Rule examples respectively.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rsjpx,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It seems that the 4-port modem you got is a combination of modem and router that is why the WAN IP address registered on the FVS318G is a private IP address.  I suggest that you set the 4-port modem to full-bridge mode so that the WAN IP address that will be registered to the FVS318G would be a public IP address.  

After you've done what I have suggested, you will need to configure an inbound rule to allow port 3389 for Remote Desktop Connection.  Kindly read pages 4-11 and  4-15 to 4-18 of the FVS318G reference manual here about LAN WAN Inbound Services Rules and Inbound Rule examples respectively.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
rsjpx
Aspirant

Thank you DanaA!  For some reason the FVS318G didn't receive a public IP address after I had set the modem to bridge mode.  But after a couple of good hard resets to the modem, the FVS318G finally got a public IP address assigned to it.

Model: FVS318G|ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall
Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rsjpx,

You're welcome! 🙂  I'm glad you finally got a WAN Public IP address assigned on the FVS318G.  

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community. 

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements