Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP address translation

chasdk54
Aspirant

IP address translation

At work, we receive new equipment with controllers that have incompatable IP addresses. (Incompatable with our LAN) I have a handfull of IP addresses that I can use.but since the equipment has dozens of addresses, changing them is not an option. I only need to communicate with the main controller. Here is my question: Can I configure a port on the router as 10.10.34.66 (compatable with my LAN) and have data sent to that port forwarded it to a different port configured as 22.14.55.122 (the controllers address) and vice versa? All this is to take place on the LAN with no access to the outside world. Addresses are examples only.

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: IP address translation

Hi chasdk54,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

What router are you referring to and is this router the main router of your existing network?  If ever you are referring to a ProSAFE VPN Firewall Router indicated on the data sheet here, you could possibly create a VLAN (for example: a VLAN for 10.10.34.x network) then assign a LAN port to that VLAN.  Then, you could configure inbound firewall rules (or port forwarding) to a WAN address.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@chasdk54,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
chasdk54
Aspirant

I would like to use the Prosafe FVS318G. Simply put, I have a programmable logic controller (PLC) running a piece of production equipment on our production floor. The IP address of the PLC is not compatable with our LAN. (I cannot change the PLC IP address) I need the Prosafe to accept a compatable (Static) IP address and translate it to the PLC's IP address (and vice versa). This will allow me to access the information in the PLC as well as program it from my desk at work. I do not need nor do I want any access to the internet or anyplace outside my plant. Can this device do this and if so, what direction can you give me?

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@chasdk54,

FVS318G has two versions: the FVS318Gv1 which is already EOL (End-of-Life) and the FVS318Gv2 which is available in the market. 

On both FVS318Gv1 and FVS318Gv2, it is possible to change the default IP address to the IP range of the PLC.  Kindly read pages 66-68 on how to edit a VLAN profile on the FVS318Gv2 reference manual here

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@chasdk54,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements