Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking for a firewall that allows port configuration (in and out) and NAT can be turned off

chris2969
Aspirant

Looking for a firewall that allows port configuration (in and out) and NAT can be turned off

Hi can anyone suggest a firewall / router w/firewall that allows me to config which ports are open (by IP and rest blocked) And must have support for static IPs. The ones I see seem to all use NAT, which is NG for me as I want to connect a mail server to the firewall and the server requires Static IPs.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Looking for a firewall that allows port configuration (in and out) and NAT can be turned off

Hi Chirs2969, 

Yes, you can disable DHCP on all our firewalls. Please see the screenshot below (this is a screenshot of FVS336Gv1, on newer models, it is called LAN settings): 

I recommend the FVS336Gv3 if you are looking for a dual-WAN firewall/router. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello chris2969, 

Welcome to the community! 

I'd like to ask some questions first to verify if I understood your question correctly. Please see some of my questions below: 

1. Are you pertaining to "ports" as a service port or the LAN port(hardware)? 
  2. What are the model numbers of the router/firewall that you have looked up? 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 8
chris2969
Aspirant

John

I was referring to ports such as SMTP Port 25, POP3 - Port 110, etc

I need to allow only some users to access POP3 and block the rest.

I looked up the prosafe series BUT I see it only hands off a NAT ip (192.x.x.x) on the ethernet side. I have several Static IPs I need to configure to connect to a mail server etc

Message 3 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chris2969, 

This can be done using firewall rules, please check page 212 of this manual. Are you pertaining to DCHP server instead of NAT (Network Address Translation)? DHCP service can be disabled on our firewalls and you can use/assign static IP addresses to your devices. 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 8
chris2969
Aspirant

You are right - I meant DHCP - I did not see where you could turn it off - is that true on all your firewall devices? 

Can you recommend a device without the dual WAN feature ?

Message 5 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Chirs2969, 

Yes, you can disable DHCP on all our firewalls. Please see the screenshot below (this is a screenshot of FVS336Gv1, on newer models, it is called LAN settings): 

I recommend the FVS336Gv3 if you are looking for a dual-WAN firewall/router. 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 8
chris2969
Aspirant

Thank you  - I could not find a way to turn off DHCP till you showed me where it was.

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Chirs2969, 

You're welcome! Let us know if you have more questions, please feel free to open a new post. 

Thanks,

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements