Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Loss of bandwidth ... What should I check please?

Euther
Aspirant

Loss of bandwidth ... What should I check please?

Good day,

I just upgraded my internet service to Xfinity Blast! Pro... 250/10 Mpbs.

Seems if I put a device through my SRX5308, I can not break 100Mbps.

- I have upgraded the firmware to version: 4.3.5.3

- I have disbled all firwall rules, rebooted, and tested via www.speedtest.net and www.backblaze.com/speedtest/

- If I connect my PC directly to the Cable modem, I clearly get around 230/10 Mbps

- Link lights are green, showing 1000Mpbs connectivity.

Thank you in advance for providing any assistance you can. 

w/r,

Mike

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 9
Euther
Aspirant

Opps. Can't find the delete button

Message 2 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Euther,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the SRX5308 connected to a modem-only device or to a modem-router provided by Xfinity Blast?  If ever the device provided by Xfinity Blast is a modem-router combination, I suggest you to set the modem-router to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device.  This will make the SRX5308 the main router of your network wherein the Public WAN IP Address will be registered to it.

b. Since you have upgraded the firmware of the SRX5308 to v4.3.5.3, did you perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware?  If not yet, I suggest you to factory reset the SRX5308 then reconfigure the settings from scratch and observe if same problem occurs. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
Euther
Aspirant

DaneA,

Thank you for replying. I do appreciate it! Thank you for the warm welcome, too!

[Q] Is the SRX5308 connected to a modem-only device or to a modem-router provided by Xfinity Blast?

[A] The SRX5308 is connected directly to a ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC Eth Port 1. 

[Q] I suggest you to set the modem-router to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device

[A] I see on the "At a glance" web page that Bridge Mode = Disabled. Is this what you are referring to?

When I click the enable button, this pops up:  "Enabling Bridge Mode will disable Router functionality of gateway and turn off the private Wi-Fi network. Are you sure you want to continue?" I have the wireless disabled at this time, so I dont know if this is a big deal or not. Also, I have phone service connected to this device. Will this be impacted if I enable this option? Thoughts? 

[Q] Since you have upgraded the firmware of the SRX5308 to v4.3.5.3, did you perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware? 

[A] I did not. Is there a preferred link I should look at for instructions on how to do this?

I am assuming the following:

Backup / Restore Settings

1) Save a copy of current settings

2) Revert to factory default settings. Click the "Button". I will need to find out the default name/password. 

3) Restore saved settings from file

Yes? I have some LAN/WAN Rules too... anything special I need to do regarding those?

Thank you again!!

Message 4 of 9
Euther
Aspirant

Perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware? 

Via, Backup / Restore Settings

1) Save a copy of current settings

2) Revert to factory default settings. Click the "Button". I will need to find out the default name/password. 

3) Restore saved settings from file

4) Rebooted.

5) Disabled all FW rules

6) Speed Test Results (Same Server):  60Mbps (D) / 11Mbps (U)

Message 5 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Euther,

[Q] Is the SRX5308 connected to a modem-only device or to a modem-router provided by Xfinity Blast?

[A] The SRX5308 is connected directly to a ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC Eth Port 1. 

As I have checked about the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC here, it is a combination of cable modem and router.  Since the SRX5308 is connected directly to ethernet port 1 of the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC, you have a  Double NAT scenario wherein a router (the SRX5308) is connected behind another router (which is the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC).  

To learn more about Double NAT, kindly access the article below:

What is Double NAT?

[Q] I suggest you to set the modem-router to full-bridge mode so that it will be a modem-only device

[A] I see on the "At a glance" web page that Bridge Mode = Disabled. Is this what you are referring to?

When I click the enable button, this pops up:  "Enabling Bridge Mode will disable Router functionality of gateway and turn off the private Wi-Fi network. Are you sure you want to continue?" I have the wireless disabled at this time, so I dont know if this is a big deal or not. Also, I have phone service connected to this device. Will this be impacted if I enable this option? Thoughts? 

Yes, the Bridge Mode is what I am referring to.  

I found this forum link online here, it says on a paragraph there (by EG) that the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC can be put in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a cable modem with phone support. 

As I have mentioned from my initial response to you, setting the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC to bridge mode will make the SRX5308 the main router of your network wherein the Public WAN IP Address will be registered to it.  Kindly read Option 2 on the article below:

How to fix issues with Double NAT

I suggest you to to set the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC to bridge mode then check what download/upload speed you will get through the SRX5308.   

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Euther,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or  resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
Euther
Aspirant

Hi DaneA ... I was out of town on business... Sorry for the delayed reply!!

I turned on or Enabled that setting... But still not getting the expected speed I am paying for. I Hope there is something else to try, and I am thinking about removing the netgear device. 😞

AGAIN, BIG Thank you for helping me!!!

Regards,

Euther

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Euther,

Thanks for the feedback.  Kindly try the steps below:

A. Powercycle the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC and SRX5308.

1. Turn off both ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC and SRX5308.  Make sure to totally power off both devices. Wait for about 2 minutes.

Note: If the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC has a backup battery, remove it for the meantime in order to power it down totally. 

2. Turn on first the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC.  Wait for it to initialize (wait for the LED lights to lit up & stabilize). 

3. After the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC has initialized, turn on the SRX5308.

4. On the SRX5308, wait for the Test LED to turn off and Internet LED to lit up green.  The corresponding WAN port LEDs should lit up green. 

5. Check if you are able to go online through the SRX5308 as well as check if you're getting your subscribed speed. 

Note: Proceed to step B below if still you are not getting your subscribed speed through the SRX5308.

B. MAC Spoofing. 

1. Disconnect the SRX5308 from the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC.  

2. Connect your main PC directly to the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC.  Make sure you are able to go online.

3. If you are able to go online directly through the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC, disconnect your main PC from it.  Then, connect the ARRIS SURFboard SVG2482AC to the WAN port of the SRX5308.

4. On the web-GUI of the SRX5308, go to Network Configuration > WAN Settings > WAN Setup.  Then, click Edit to the corresponding WAN interface you are using.  The WAN IPv4 ISP Settings page will show up.

5. On the WAN IPv4 ISP Settings page, at the upper right portion click on the Advanced option.  The WAN Advanced Options page will show up.

6. On the Router's MAC Address section, select "Use this computer's MAC Address. 

7. On the Upload/Download Settings section, select Other on the WAN Connection Type field.  

8. Click Apply.

9. Check if you are able to go online through the SRX5308 as well as check if you're getting your subscribed speed. 

Note: If ever you are still not getting your subscribed speed after step B9, repeat step A above.

As reference on step B, kindly read pages  71-76 of the SRX5308 reference manual here about Advanced WAN Options.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements