Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Main Router DSR-500N FW2.02_WW; need Access Points for other buildings

GaACETech
Tutor

Main Router DSR-500N FW2.02_WW; need Access Points for other buildings

I have a DSR-500N (fw 2.02_WW).

I need to expand the primarry SSID and guest SSID to two other builidngs (wings of the primary building).   The primary SSID should have access to business software, shared folders, and printers.  The guest only internet.   The main building is working fine.

What is the suggestion for the two other buildings?  Note the guest wifi will need to be password protected but encryption is not necessary (this is just to keep the neighboring buildings from free interent).

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Main Router DSR-500N FW2.02_WW; need Access Points for other buildings

Hi GaACETech,

The FVS318N would be fine to be the main router.  It has a wireless function but it does not support WDS (Wireless Distribution System).  You may also want to take a look at other VPN firewalls like the FVS318Gv2, FVS336Gv3 and SRX5308.  Kindly check their corresponding specifications and comparison on the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

Kindly answer the questions below: 

a. About your concern, does it mean that you want to connect the network from the main building to the other 2 buildings via a wireless connection? If yes, what is the distance of each building from each other?

b. Are the 3 buildings within line of sight to each other? 

c. On what floor level does the existing network deployed in each building? For example, the network on bldg. 01 is on 3rd floor while the network on bldg. 02 is on the 18th floor. 

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

a. the two wings (side buildings) are Cat 6 wired to the main building; each of the wing buildings has a Netgear 10/100/1000 switch; the AP will plug into the switch

b. n/a due to buildings are wired and this works

c. all network closets are first floor

- the wired connectivity between all buildings is good

- the wireless connectity in main building is good (both private and guest)

- looking to extend private and guest to two wing buildings

(existing DLink DSR-500N (main) and DAP 2553 (side buildings) is not consistent in working)

Thanks for your advice.

Message 3 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

I suggest you the WAC730 access point.  I believe this would fit your requirements.

I assume that there are VLANs configured on your existing network that separates the main network from the guest network.  With the WAC730, you may create an SSID in the WAC730 and set it to the VLAN that corresponds to the main network.  Also, you may create another SSID for the guests and set it to the VLAN that corresponds to the guest network.  

Kindly check the WAC730 data sheet here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

This is a access point for the side buildings.

What router would I use in the main network room that would provide the private and guest SSIDs and propagate these to the side buildings? 

Thanks.

Message 5 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

I have two AC1750 routers that are still boxed.

If I use these in the two side buildings, would another AC1750 suffice for the main building?   Other suggestion?

* business - 5 users at a time

* guest - 25-50 people at one time once a week (weekly group meeting)?   (light use, no multimedia)

Message 6 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

I assume that you are referring to the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router (because there is also an  AC1750 model from other router brands).  I believe the Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router can be configured as an access point and it supports WDS (Wireless Distribution System).  Kindly read pages 123-130 of the Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router user manual here.  

The WAC730 is a business type of access point while the Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router is categorized as a home device.  The WAC730 supports VLAN, Ensemble mode, Rogue AP detection, etc. which is not supported in the Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

I've looked at the WAC730 and it seems excellent.

Do you have a recommedation for the main router?  Maybe the FVS318N?

Didn't know if you have a combination you were happy with.

Message 8 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

The FVS318N would be fine to be the main router.  It has a wireless function but it does not support WDS (Wireless Distribution System).  You may also want to take a look at other VPN firewalls like the FVS318Gv2, FVS336Gv3 and SRX5308.  Kindly check their corresponding specifications and comparison on the data sheet here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

Just want to follow-up on you.  Were you able to check the other NETGEAR VPN Firewalls aside from the FVS318N?  Have you already decided on which firewall would you need for your existing network?  You might want to read the reviews that can be found online about the NETGEAR VPN Firewalls I've mentioned. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
GaACETech
Tutor

Currently we are using 3 AC1750 wifi routers:  1 as the main and the other two as access points.   This is probably a temporary solution but that depends on staff/guest feedback.  If there are no complaints, then it may stay for a while.

Message 11 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GaACETech,

Thanks for your response. 🙂  

If ever you have future concerns, feel free to post it here in the community.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements