Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear FVS 318N WAN throughput limited

migie58
Aspirant

NetGear FVS 318N WAN throughput limited

I have read the other posts and also performed the recommended actions, but I am also experiencing limited throughput on my firewall. I recently upgraded my TWC to Spectrum Internet. The service connection went from 30Gb/s to 100Gb/sec. I also have a Netgear N450 Gateway & I connected my system directly to it (at 1Gb/sec) to test the connection speed via speedtest.net. I was able to get 95+Gb/sec download and 12+Gb/sec upload speeds. My 318N firewall is also WAN connected to the N450 Gateway at 1Gb/sec bandwidth. When I connect my system to the 318N firewall at 1Gb/sec and run speedtest.net, I am only able to achieve 42Gb/sec - 45Gb/sec download and 10Gb/sec - 11Gb/sec upload speeds. I have the latest software version loaded (v4.3.4-2).

I have reset both devices and my system. I have turned the wireless on and off on the 318N, and performed the recommended tests without any increase in speed from my firewall. I am not using any encryption or VPN settings.

I am definitely able to get the 100Mb/sec speed from my ISP throught the N450 Gateway. But the FVS318N is limiting the available performance.

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NetGear FVS 318N WAN throughput limited

Hello migie58, 

Welcome to the community! 

At this point, it is best to contact our Support Team and have them take a look at your settings. If your FVS318N is running on factory defaults and you are getting a very low bandwidth then there is something wrong with the router. I believe you mean Mb instead of Gb for the UL and DL speeds. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 5
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi migie58,

I tried checking your NETGEAR profile but I am unable to see that you have the FVS318N registered so I am guessing that you have not had any chance to get support for it yet.

Looking at your message, the FVS318N should be able to handle the speed upgrade to 100Mbps. The FVS318N can handle speeds of up to 250 Mbps (LAN-WAN Throughput).

I am a bit concerned about your network layout, as far as I understand; you have the FVS318N behind your N450 gateway. We would not want a firewall behind another firewall setup and I am unsure if this is the reason why you are only getting 42 Mbps when checking via speedtest.net.

My suggestion; if possible is to temporarily bypass the N450 router (remove it from the network) and connect the FVS318N directly to the modem provided by Spectrum Internet. If you are still getting low throughput after this, then I suggest that you register the FVS318N at my.netgear.com. Check if its still within phone support and either call or chat with them.

Contact NETGEAR Support

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
migie58
Aspirant

The Netgear N450 router that my FVS 318N Firewall is connected to IS the cable modem.used by TWC (Spectrum). So, I cannot remove it. It has direct cable port (WAN side), wireless capability, and four 1GbE ports (LAN side). Also, I did connect my computer directly to a 1GbE NIC port on the Netgear N450 Cable Modem and ran speedtest.net (bypassing the FVS 318N firewall). I was able to consistently get 95-98Mbps download speed & 21-24Mbps upload speed. The N450 Cable Modem is reporting the NIC connection to the WAN port  on the FVS 318N is configured as a 1-Gigabit Full Duplex connection. So, it

So, there appears to be an issue appears to be in issue within the FVS 318N Firewall.

Message 4 of 5
SamirD
Prodigy

I have one 318N on firmware version 4.0.1-67 and get 60+/25 on my 150/25 connection, and another 318N with a 60/5 connection and firmware version 4.3.0-19, I'm getting 60/3, and I suspect the 3 is because there's a lot of outgoing traffic from that site over vpn.

I would try disabling any extra filters and blocking and see if you can get more speed. Also, even the browser and system that you test on will make a difference. I got 55/24 on a windows 7 system and the 60/25 was on an xp system with the exact same browser. Even regular vs incognito mode made a 10Mbps difference.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements