Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear FVS318G with Apple airport with primary and guest network- guest network not passing ...

Mwyatt13
Aspirant

Netgear FVS318G with Apple airport with primary and guest network- guest network not passing through

I have a modem connected to a FVS318G firewall that is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. I have two networks on the Airport. The main network is getting internet access but the guest network is not. I can open the interface for the Airport and see the devices on the guest network but they do not have a network connection. Any suggestions? I am new to networking. 

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear FVS318G with Apple airport with primary and guest network- guest network not passing ...

Hi Mwyatt13,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Is your FVS318G a v1 or v2 (v = version)?  

I do not own an Apple Airport Extreme and have not yet setup one.  However, I found this article online that says the Guest Network of the Apple Airport Extreme is using VLAN 1003.  

If ever you have an FVS318Gv2, kindly try the steps below:

Note: If ever you have an FVS318Gv1 then the steps below is not applicable because the FVS318Gv1 does not support VLAN.  

1. Access the web-GUI of your FVS318Gv2. 

2. Go to Network Configuration > LAN Setup.  Then, click Add.  The Add VLAN Profile page will appear.

3. On the Add VLAN Profile page, set the following:

a. On the VLAN Profile section, enter any name you prefer on the Profile Name field.  

Then, type 1003 on the VLAN ID field.

b. On the Port Membership section, check port 1.  

c. On the IP Setup field, enter the network address you prefer on the IP Address field (for example: 10.10.10.1).

Then, type 255.255.255.0 on the Subnet Mask field. 

d. On the DHCP section, select Enable DHCP Server.  

Then on the Start IP field, enter the start IP Address based on the network address you preferred.  For example, if the network address is 10.10.10.1 then the start IP address would be 10.10.10.2. 

Then on the End IP field, enter the ending IP Address based on the network address you preferred.  For example, if the network address is 10.10.10.1 then the end IP address would be 10.10.10.254. 

Then on the Primary DNS Server and Secondary DNS Server fields, you may enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 respectively.

4. Click Apply. 

Note: From steps 1 to 4, refer to page 61- 68 of the FVS318Gv2 Reference Manual here.  

5. Connect the Apple Airport Extreme to port 1 of the FVS318Gv2.  Make sure that the Guest Network is enabled on the settings of the Apple Airport Extreme . 

6. Connect a wireless device such as laptops to the Guest Network and check if it gets a valid IP address.  For example, if  the network address is 10.10.10.1 then the wireless device should get an IP address of 10.10.10.x  (x is any number from 2 to 254).  Then, try to access any website while connected to the Guest Network.

Hope it helps. Smiley Happy 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Mwyatt13
Aspirant

DaneA

Thank you! I do have V2. I will give this a try and let you know how it works out. I may have to do the same for my Direct TV and my outside cameras. When I installed the firewall i lost wireless to both of those as well. 

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Mwyatt13,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try the steps I have suggested?  If yes, what is the result?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements