Re: Netgear FVS336Gv3 - Tracing logs from defined URL to PC-client hostname

amilmac
Aspirant

Netgear FVS336Gv3 - Tracing logs from defined URL to PC-client hostname

Netgear FVS336Gv3

Firmware Version 4.3.4-2
OS and Environment: Windows 10, web interface

Dear Netgear Community,

For a given suspicious URL -for example- i need to be able to trace logs, to get definetively which PC/client has visited this suspected URL.

In the firewall DNS logs, i can see that URL logging is working as expected, for example:

Apr  1 10:31:19 [FVS336GV3] user.info dnsmasq: [DNSRESOLV]:suspecteddomain.com from 192.168.1.60\

Our LAN network is working via DHCP on the netgear firewall so internal IP can change and is not a good method to determine the desired client (phisical computer).

With the DHCP Logging enabled, i am supposed that i will be able to see what PC-name(hostname) when internal client gets certain IP.

In this case, i should compare the DHCP logs (and date time) and compare with date/time & IP.

Please any suggestion about any fiable method will be high apprecciated.

The goal as previously explained appears simple: determine the hostname that has visited a certain/given URL in time, keeping in mind that DHCP server could change internal IPs.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Model: FVG318v2|ProSafe 802.11g Wireless VPN Firewall 8-ports
Message 1 of 3
Dan_Z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi amilmac,

Welcome to the community!

On "Network Configuration->LAN Settings->LAN Groups",after click "Refresh" button,will show all devices that connected to the firewall.

Hope it can help you.

Thanks

Message 2 of 3
amilmac
Aspirant

Hi Dan_Z

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, as you refer, i can see the CURRENTLY devices that are connected to firewall, but what happens if i need to check for devices connected in the past?

As i mentioned, by DHCP the client IP can change.

I mean that maybe I should search for the DHCP logs, so in this way i know the date&time and the MAC address assigned to it, so here i can trace.

Am I right? 🙂

Thank you very much!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements