Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Prosafe Router Model SRXN3205 - Slows down Internet Speeds

Dion07
Aspirant

Netgear Prosafe Router Model SRXN3205 - Slows down Internet Speeds

Our network speeds are supposed to be getting 200 Mbps download and somewhere around 10-15 upload. We were using Comcast -> NetGear Nighthawk R700 and we were getting the full 200+ download speed on both Wired and Wireless. I now have removed the R7000 and put in a NetGear Prosafe SRXN3205 in order to have a VPN connection to my work and a few other work sites.
I am not sure what is the cause, but our speed has dropped down by more than half while using this.

Here is what my speedtest shows now with the SRXN3205 in place.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6081177111

If I take out the SRXN3205 and put the Nighthawk R7000 back, the speeds go back up to 200+ Mbps
Ideally I want to have the hardware set up as follows:
Comcast -> SRXN3205 -> R7000 (for the Wifi)

I have searched all over the NETGEAR Community and have not been able to find any solutions for this. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

Model: SRXN3205|ProSafe Wireless-N VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear Prosafe Router Model SRXN3205 - Slows down Internet Speeds

Hi Dion07, 

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The SRXN3205 has a LAN-to-WAN throughput of 60Mbps which is lower than your subscribed 200 Mbps download speed from Comcast that is why it slows down.  You may check the SRXN3205 data sheet here.  

If you want to achieve your goal to have VPN connection and at the same time having a 200 Mbps download speed, I suggest you a VPN firewall that has a LAN-to-WAN throughput greater than 200 Mbps like the following: FVS318Gv2, FVS318N, FVS336Gv3 or the SRX5308.  Kindly check their specification and comparison on the data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dion07, 

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The SRXN3205 has a LAN-to-WAN throughput of 60Mbps which is lower than your subscribed 200 Mbps download speed from Comcast that is why it slows down.  You may check the SRXN3205 data sheet here.  

If you want to achieve your goal to have VPN connection and at the same time having a 200 Mbps download speed, I suggest you a VPN firewall that has a LAN-to-WAN throughput greater than 200 Mbps like the following: FVS318Gv2, FVS318N, FVS336Gv3 or the SRX5308.  Kindly check their specification and comparison on the data sheet here.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Dion07
Aspirant

Well that answers my question to my issue straight up. Thank you DaneA.

BTW, where can I find those datasets for the routers? I was not able to find those.
Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

You're welcome! 🙂  You could find information about NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN firewalls here.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
Dion07
Aspirant

DaneA, thank you again!

Why do the WAN ports even support Gigabite speeds if they can't do WAN to LAN throughput faster than 100? That sounds silly.

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dion07,

The LAN-to-WAN (or WAN-to-LAN) throughput is the actual amount of data that can be transmitted from LAN to WAN or vice versa. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
Dion07
Aspirant

@DaneA of course 🙂 I was just noting on the sillyness of having Gigabit ports, but can only support 60 Mbps download.

Thank you 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements