Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear config page causing security warning in Chrome

train_wreck
Luminary

Netgear config page causing security warning in Chrome

So the Chrome web browser has started displaying the following security error when logging into my Netgear FVS318Gv2 and my FVS336Gv3:

netgearcerterror.png

Both routers are running the latest firmware and have been factory reset.

This is a great reason to update the firmware to allow SHA-256/384/512 certs..............

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall,FVS336Gv3|ProSafe dual WAN gigabit firewall with SSL and IPSec VPN
Message 1 of 5
willieaames
Aspirant

I always ignore those errors, thanks for heads up.

Message 2 of 5
allwires
Aspirant

Netgear customers using the Netgear products listed by the original poster will see this Security Protocol error using Firefox, and Internet Explorer also, due to the obsolete protocol being deployed by Netgear. Netgear engineering needs to develop a User Interface that will connect to modern day browsers without error.
Message 3 of 5
train_wreck
Luminary

@allwires wrote:
Netgear customers using the Netgear products listed by the original poster will see this Security Protocol error using Firefox, and Internet Explorer also, due to the obsolete protocol being deployed by Netgear. Netgear engineering needs to develop a User Interface that will connect to modern day browsers without error.

Yes, both Firefox and Chrome both plan to drop support completely for SHA-1 certificate sites this year. This needs to be addressed. Along with supporting SHA2 and using more modern encryption protocols (GCM, etc.) in the web GUI, this support also needs to be extended to the VPN certificates. One of the reasons we are unable to use the FVS336Gv3 device in our organization is because the lack of SHA2 certificates in the VPN causes us to fail PCI DSS compliance.

EDIT also, I don't use the "SSL VPN" feature of the device (only IPsec), but I imagine that this same security problem would extend to that as well...... since to even enable SSL VPN you must enable remote management......

@DaneA@JohnRo@Danthem

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi train_wreck, 

I will forward this to engineering and see if they can give some insights. 

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements