Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Point to Point VPN best practices for VOIP

dewdiehl
Aspirant

Point to Point VPN best practices for VOIP

Hello.  I have a SRX5308 main site connected to a JGS524PE switch.  This handles all network traffic along with VOIP PBX.

The remote site (via cable modem) has a FVS336Gv3.  This handles all network traffic and 2 IP phones that connect back to the main site via VPN.

I have a IPsec VPN connection between the 2 sites.  Everyhting works rather well most of the time.  My question is what is the best practice in this situation to handle Qos?  Will 802.1p travel the VPN tunnel?  Would a seperate Vlan work better?

I know I can't control what happens once the data hits the interent but I would like to do my best to prioritize the taffic as it leaves one location and comes in at the other.  I've done much reading but I can't find anything specfic to this.  Thank you in advance!

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dewdiehl,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

There is no option to set up QoS through the VPN tunnel.  Let me share this old forum thread here which is similar to your concern.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dewdiehl,

Let us know if you have further questions.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 7
NACC
Tutor

I'm not sure why I didn't see this post earlier, but it seems to be exactly the question I'm asking in: https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/SRX5308-VoIP-over-VPN/td-p/1265198.

Is there really no way to prioritize traffic within the VPN tunnel in NetGear VPN firewalls?

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NACC,

I suggest that you post your concern as a feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here.  In this way, the development team can see what feature does users wanted to be added to the functionality of the SRX5308.  Be reminded that the more kudos given by community members to your feature request will help as the development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos and might be considered. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
dewdiehl
Aspirant

I would love more info on this. As voip has become more popular I'm sure many are dealing with this same situation.
Message 6 of 7
NACC
Tutor

I suggest that you post your concern as a feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business board here.  In this way, the development team can see what feature does users wanted to be added to the functionality of the SRX5308.  Be reminded that the more kudos given by community members to your feature request will help as the development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos and might be considered.

I've gone ahead and done this: here
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements