Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ports Exposed in Stealth Mode

dmskram
Aspirant

Ports Exposed in Stealth Mode

Hello, I've just unboxed and setup a new FVS318Gv2. I updated the firmware to the current release (v4.3.4-2) and have run Nmap scans against the WAN port. The scan results show ports 1723 and 5353 exposed but closed. No settings have been changed from the default other than the WAN setup using a static address. I did verify that Stealth Mode is enabled. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can block these ports from responding to scans. Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello dmskram, 

Welcome to the community! 

I'll send an inquiry about this, I cannot say if it's a vulnerability or it is intended since port 1723 is used for PPTP. As long as the ports are closed it may still be safe. I'll get back to you on this. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 3
dmskram
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have been doing some testing since my original post. It appears that the issue is still present after explicitly disabling VPN Pass through (Security > Firwall > Attack Checks). A possible common thread between ports 1723 and 5353 would be Apple services. Specifically;

> pptp-macOS Server VPN service (1723:TCP, PPTP) and

> mdns-Bonjour, AirPlay, Home Sharing, Printer Discovery, Back to My Mac (5353:UDP, Multicast DNS)

I hope this helps locate the source of the issue.

-d

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements