Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with Internet Connectivity

gnwjr
Aspirant

Problems with Internet Connectivity

This will be a long-winded explanation so please bear with me...

Router: NETGEAR ProSafe Gigabit 8 Port VPN Firewall FVS318G (Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18)
Wireless Access Point: NETGEAR Wireless N Access Point WN802T
Laptop: Dell Latitude D830, Windows 7 Pro (clean install)

My laptop no longer has internet connectivity when connected to the router via LAN and/or the wireless access point, both NETGEAR products. The problem has required that I erase/wipe the harddrive and reinstall Windows 7 Pro and now with nothing - no anti-virus, nothing - on the machine, I still have no internet connectivity when going through the router via LAN or wireless. Both the router and the access point have been turned off and unplugged with no effect.

Here are some troubleshooting steps I've taken:

1. When I connect directly to the cable modem with a cable bypassing the router, I have internet.

2. When I connect to the router using a different port, still no internet.

3. When I go to another location (business, coffee shop, etc.) and attempt to connect to their wifi signal, I can connect to the internet.

4. I have disabled the wireless connection on the laptop and still no internet via the LAN.

5. I have disabled the wired connection using only the wireless and still no internet.

6. All other computers/devices on the network, both wired and wireless, have internet and mutual connectivity. The laptop can also connect to other devices and vice versa.

Any help would be appreciated. This happened with no warning after coming back from a trip . I know of no changes to the laptop prior to wiping/erasing.
Message 1 of 12
fordem
Mentor

Re: Problems with Internet Connectivity

What are the ip settings on the problem laptop when ... a) connected directly to the modem? b) connected via Ethernet? c) connected via WiFi?
Message 2 of 12
adit
Mentor

Delete any saved wifi network settings and reconnect.
Message 3 of 12
gnwjr
Aspirant

fordem wrote:
What are the ip settings on the problem laptop when ...

a) connected directly to the modem?
b) connected via Ethernet?
c) connected via WiFi?

I presume that you just wanted the IP addresses and that being the case, here you go:

a) Connected directly to the modem: 71.11.169.0
b) Connected via Ethernet: 192.168.1.6
c) Connected via WiFi: 192.168.1.20

adit wrote:
Delete any saved wifi network settings and reconnect.

Not sure what you mean by this. I will say that I deleted all static assignments on the router for the laptop. Those assignments were as shown above. Then I shut everything down, turned everything back on, and the router assigned the same IP addresses the the laptop. Those listed above are the newly assigned dynamic addresses as there are no assigned addresses for the laptop.

I do appreciate your help and advice on this.
Message 4 of 12
adit
Mentor

Delete the saved SSID in the wifi settings. Make sure the ISP did not cache your laptop's MAC address. Sometimes a cable modem reboot fixes this.
Message 5 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

gnwjr,

I got some questions on this. Did you perform ping tests when connected to the router and/or the access points? Tried pinging public DNS or assigning static DNS on the laptop?
Message 6 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Hi gnwjr,

This might help.... since you mentioned that you are able to go online when you are directly connected to the modem, you might need to do MAC Spoofing on your FVS318G.

Who is your Internet Service Provider?
Message 7 of 12
Borya
Aspirant

After upgrade FVS318G to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 We see very strange behavior, users lost Internet access but still can connect to central office resources. We have two FVS318G (Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18) devices, connected to different providers, but symptoms are the same. Before upgrade to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 we had no such problems! 😞
Message 8 of 12
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Borya wrote:
After upgrade FVS318G to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 We see very strange behavior, users lost Internet access but still can connect to central office resources.
(

Is this when you are connected on a VPN tunnel? Does it come back by itself of do you need to reboot the routers for the internet to come back?
Message 9 of 12
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Borya wrote:
After upgrade FVS318G to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 We see very strange behavior, users lost Internet access but still can connect to central office resources.
We have two FVS318G (Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18) devices, connected to different providers, but symptoms are the same.
Before upgrade to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 we had no such problems! 😞

Hi Borya,

Have you tried doing a MAC Spoof? If yes, kindly try this because this might help: Connect your main PC directly to your modem and if you are able to go online, reconnect the modem back to the WAN port of your FVS318G then connect the main PC to a LAN port of your FVS318G and check if you are able to go online.
Message 10 of 12
dangaras
Aspirant

Borya wrote:
We have two FVS318G (Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18) devices, connected to different providers, but symptoms are the same.
Before upgrade to Firmware Version: 3.1.1-18 we had no such problems! 😞

I concur. The 3.1.1-18 firmware breaks the WAN connectivity function. I have tried this FW upgrade twice, once in early 2014 & today (again) and it immediately breaks the device's ability to connect to the DSL service.

My DSL provider confirms that there is no authentication request seen from the devic connecte to the modem.

I have reentered the DSL credentials inthe WAN setup page & waited up to 2 hours without success. I am experiencing random VPN & connectivity issues with the FVS318 devices & hence wanted to upgrade to the latest FW in hope that the issues would be resolved.

Netgear support is as usual unhelpful. all they will do is replace the device under warranty.
This is a very poor but common experience with Netgear, I have several FVS318G, FVG318 & FWS114 devies where all but 3 of the FVS318 devices have been taken out of service becasue they lock up randomly and repeated hardware replacements do nothing to resolve the problem.

I am very disappointed.
Message 11 of 12
SamirD
Prodigy

dangaras wrote:
I concur. The 3.1.1-18 firmware breaks the WAN connectivity function. I have tried this FW upgrade twice, once in early 2014 & today (again) and it immediately breaks the device's ability to connect to the DSL service.

My DSL provider confirms that there is no authentication request seen from the devic connecte to the modem.

I have reentered the DSL credentials inthe WAN setup page & waited up to 2 hours without success. I am experiencing random VPN & connectivity issues with the FVS318 devices & hence wanted to upgrade to the latest FW in hope that the issues would be resolved.

Netgear support is as usual unhelpful. all they will do is replace the device under warranty.
This is a very poor but common experience with Netgear, I have several FVS318G, FVG318 & FWS114 devies where all but 3 of the FVS318 devices have been taken out of service becasue they lock up randomly and repeated hardware replacements do nothing to resolve the problem.

I am very disappointed.
In cases like this, I won't update the firmware unless is it is absolutely necessary. Updating firmware like virus updates on PCs is a bad idea and just asking for trouble.

I'd be interested in your old netgear devices if you want to get rid of them. PM me.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements