Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Prosafe FVS336G with two subnets - Need VPN Access

djbetterly
Aspirant

Prosafe FVS336G with two subnets - Need VPN Access

I'll get to the point.  We have a VPN firewall, three public IP's and two subnets.  I'm trying to get VPN access through to the server which is on a DMZ port.  The router has VPN passthrough, and in addition I opened the ports but I still can't get the VPN request through the firewall.  Any ideas? 

The computers are all Macs.  Currently there are three servers, but I intend to merge them into one as the other two are old, and pointless to have.  They have no IT guy, so its been completely cobbled together.  I'm fine with networking, but this VPN firewall has me baffled.

Let me know if you need any additional details.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
adit
Mentor

What does the server(s) do?

Why is the server in the DMZ?

Which 336G (v1/v2/v3) and which firmware?

What are the LAN/DMZ subnets and masks?

Which ports did you open?

VPN Passthrough has nothing to do with Inbound VPN.

Message 2 of 6
djbetterly
Aspirant

The server is used as an imaging archive and processing server and needs to be accessible remotely 24/7.

Who ever setup the network initially set the local network up on one subnet, and the server on a DMZ subnet.

The firewall is v2, running the firmware version 3.0.7-24

LAN Subnet - 10.0.1.1/255.255.255.0

DMZ Subnet - 10.0.2.1/255.255.255.0

I initially had opened port 1701 for L2tp access to the DMZ subnet.  The server we are trying to get VPN to also has a static IP.

Other info:  They have three public IP's, one for a quickbooks server, one for the imaging server and one for an online imaging server.  They have asked me to merge all those services into one server.  Two of the servers are incredibly old could kick at any point so they want them moved before anything happens. 

I'll be honest, I have basic networking experience, but when dealing with two separate subnets it gets a bit tricky for me.  Unfortunatly my employer is too cheap to hire a professional to set this up properly.  I appreciate your help and patience walking me through this...if you can!   

Message 3 of 6
adit
Mentor

What are the remotes using to VPN into the server?

Did this work before, and if so, what changed?

Message 4 of 6
djbetterly
Aspirant

The remote machines are running OS X and just use the built in VPN client.  VPN access has never been setup with this system.

Message 5 of 6
adit
Mentor

Don't think it will work with the built in client.  IIRC it would only work with Cisco VPN's.

I think that only VPN Tracker and IPSecuritas(free) worked in the past for OSX.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements