Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Protocol Binding 4.3.3-6 no internet DNS request resolved

Johnny555
Aspirant

Protocol Binding 4.3.3-6 no internet DNS request resolved

SRX5308 with 4.3.3-6 firmware.  We have 3 WAN ports in use.  WAN1 suddenlink, WAN2 ATT, WAN3 3rd party.  All can supply access to the internet and all work correctly when I connect my laptop directly to the port.

I want to implement protocol binding in the version. Previous versions I would specify the special protocols to the appropriate WAN ports and then have an all that would cover everything else.  WAN1 HTTP traffic, WAN2 SMTP and WAN3 PPTP, then an ANY protocol for WAN1.  So this would direct any protocol not specifically specified to WAN1.  Well the firmware now will not let you do this.  It tells you not allowed to assign duplicate protocol.  As soon as I enable load balancing which is required for protocol binding all the my dns request fail.  I have reset the system to factory defaults and hand keyed all the settings for the upgrade but it still will not process DNS request when load balancing is enabled.  From the diagnostics ping I see returns from the internet so the internet connection is working.

I had this working perfectly in my previous firmware version.  I took screenshots of the setup before setting the defaults on the unit and upgrading the firmware.

When I dont have protocol binding (load balancing) enabled the unit works as expected after a reboot.  It is when I enable load balancing when I cannot resolve any DNS request.  I have set the defaults and loaded the firmware above 3 times.

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Protocol Binding 4.3.3-6 no internet DNS request resolved

Hi Johnny555,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Since you have already reset the SRX5308 back to factory default settings and still same problem occurs, I suggest you to access the Packet Capture Tool on the web-GUI of the SRX5308.  Go to  Monitoring > Diagnostics then on the Diagnostics page, see the Router Options section.  Click the Packet Trace button then choose either WAN1/WAN2/WAN3 on the Select Network Options.  Check page 391 of the SRX5308 Reference Manual here

Once you have started the packet capture, configure load balancing and wait until DNS request will not process occurs.  If same problem occurs, then that's the time to stop the packet capture then download the packet capture on your PC.  Do it also for other WAN ports (for example, if you're done with WAN1 then do same procedure for WAN2 &WAN3).  

For the packet capture to be analyzed, I suggest you to open an online case with NETGEAR Support then let them know about your concern.  Attach the packet captures on the online case you have opened for it to be analyzed by the engineering team.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Johnny555, 

Keep us posted if ever you have already opened an online case with NETGEAR Support.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
Johnny555
Aspirant

I have sent support an email with the issue.  Case 26907586

I believe the issue is the all protocol binding.  In previous release the user would enter specific protocols for the appropriate WAN port then there would be 1 entry with ALL protocols to cover everything not specifically assigned to the WAN ports.  The current firmware does not allow the user this option.  When the user tries to select all and existing protocols are already selected the software tells the user they cannot do this because the protocol is already assigned. 

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Johnny555,

Are there any updates on the online case you have opened?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
Johnny555
Aspirant

I should have time to create the pcap reports this week.

Has netgear support tested the issue in house?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 6 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Johnny555,

Take your time. 🙂 

I am not sure if the NETGEAR Support team has already tested it on their end.  Just kindly attach the pcap files on the online case you have opened for it to submitted for analysis.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Johnny555,

What are the updates on your online case?  

You may want to try to update the firmware of your SRX5308 to v4.3.3-8 that has just been recently released.  Be sure to perform a factory reset on the SRX5308 after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch.  Then, kindly observe if same problem occurs.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements