Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS with VPN

thompsoncm
Aspirant

QOS with VPN

My ipad /IPhone connects via VPN with no problem and has done for a year or more.

Now I enable QOS to give priority to the IPTV box and as soon as a VPN connection is started the whole network goes down.

No internet and cannot even access the FVS318Gv2 without pulling the power plug out and in.

I have tried many different setting changes but the result is the same, even with no enabled QOS rules. The very action of enabling QOS causes it.

QOS works well as far as giveing priority to my IPTV box but VPN connection at the same time? No way.

Any help, please

Model: FVS318Gv2|ProSafe gigabit 8 port VPN firewall
Message 1 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi thompsoncm,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Is the IPTV box directly connected to the FVS318Gv2? 

b. What is the current firmware version of the FVS318Gv2? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

Firmware Version: 4.3.4-2

And yes the IPTV box is connected directly to the FVS318Gv2

Message 3 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thompsoncm,

If you try to disable the QoS, does it allow the VPN to work again without any issues?  If yes, (wherein the VPN works fine without QoS Settings) its possible that it could be some corruption in the config file.  I suggest you the steps below:

1. Backup the current configuration.

2. Factory reset the FVS318Gv2.

3. Reconfigure the FVS318Gv2 from scratch.

4. Observe if same problem occurs after setting it up from scratch.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thompsoncm,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to try the steps I've suggested?  If yes, what are your observations?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry for the delay it took me a while to get the ppoe settings again.

I tried as you sugested but the same problem exists. Without qos set everthing works ok including the vpn connection.

If I enable qos everthings still works ok, until I connect via the vpn from my ipad/iphone then it all fails and I have to pull the power plug to restore the system.

Chris.

Message 6 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thompsoncm,

I suggest you to kindly update the firmware of the FVS318Gv2 to the latest version 4.3.5-3.  Be sure to perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then check if same problem occurs.

You may download firmware version 4.3.5-3 here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

Hi,

I have just tried that but still the same problem. I have also noticed thet also if I enable bandwidth profiles I get the same problem. I loose WAN connection and cannot access the router web login without power off and on.

Chris.

Message 8 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thompsoncm,

Kindly post screenshots of both QoS and Bandwidth Profile settings you have configured on the FVS318Gv2.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thats just it.

No profiles are enabled, the very action on enabling QOS and/or Bandwidth Profiles causes the problem.

Chris.

Message 10 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@thompsoncm

As far as I have double-checked, there is no issue on the FVS318Gv2 as you have described here on this forum thread.  Since the troubleshooting we performed did not help, it would be best that you open a chat / online case with NETGEAR Support about your concern for further assistance.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

Thanks DaneA,

I also checked the forum before I posted.

Just maybee? no one is using the vpn and QOS at the same time and that is why no one has posted the problem?

As for me if I enable QOS and later connect via VPN from my Ipad the router lockes up every time. Cannot access the rounter web config page. Only way is to pull the power plug.

To me this is for sure a product problem. No matter of miss configering should cause the router to lock up.

My only surport option other than paying almost what I paid for the router is the online chat which is going to be panfull at the best.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT USES QOS AND VPN WITHOUT A PROBLEM?

Regards,

Chris

Message 12 of 13
thompsoncm
Aspirant

I have found the solution.

I ditched the Netgear router which cannot handle the concurent use of VPN and QOS and purchased a Cisco RV325 which works witout a problem.

By by Netgear.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements