Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRX5308 DHCP - no free leases part 2

HenrikA
Tutor

SRX5308 DHCP - no free leases part 2

As in an earlier post I have also the same problem with after a while devices cannot connect to the router to get a dynamic IP. The DHCP log says no free leases.

Frimware version 435-3. Did not work in previous version either. Everything is factory reset, but no change.

NetgearDHCP.jpg

IPs 1 to 99 are used for fixed IP like cameras, servers etc.

IPs 100 to 253 are used for customers in the hotel. Max users are maybe 15. 

When this happens I just click on Apply again and the issue is resolved for another 2-3 months

For me it seems that IP numbers are not released correct after these 24h and they are summed up so after some time there are no more left. Whith a click on Apply it is reset. However, this is not correct so any ideas.

Thanks,

Henrik

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: SRX5308 DHCP - no free leases part 2

Hi HenrikA,

It seems that you don't have enough IP leases on your SRX5308. Have you tried using Angry IP just to check your resources? Have you also tried creating a VLAN, just to test? I suggest that we can create a VLAN for your customers in your hotel so that it will be separated from your LAN and also for your own security.

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

Hi John and thanks for a quick reply. I have been thinking of a VLAN, but want to keep it simple, but as you say security is a big issue. For some years ago it was very popular here in Brazil since good download was rare to start a torrent download in the morning, go to the beach and then come home to a new movie :). That choked our systems so we had to configure BW control. 

No I have not used Angry IP, but when this problem occures I check the IP list and there are many many IP numbers not in use. Therefore, this error with no more free leases is very strange. Since I just have to press Apply again in that menu it seems that a conuter is reset again and it works fine. The question is why that conuter miss to count down after the 24h release?

Message 3 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@HenrikA,

So meaning the SRX5308 does not releases the information from the devices which is probably connected before and still holding its IP and MAC from the recent connections. Have you ever tried resetting this to factory default? Then try running it on default configuration without changing anything and let's see if that fix the issue.

Regards,

Message 4 of 13
train_wreck
Luminary

Also just for testing purposes, try a very short lease time (1 hour, perhaps) and see if the addresses are released quicker and thus the IP pool is not being maxed out.

Also maybe an increased subnet mask, maybe a /23 (255.255.254.0) or /22 (255.255.252.0), just to make the pool larger. Do you definitely know that you don't have more than 153 DHCP devices connecting?

Message 5 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

"Everything is factory reset, but no change." as in my first post.

Message 6 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

Never as manny as 153. As i mentioned earlier I checkled that when this problem occured. Maybe at most 25.

Message 7 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

"Also maybe an increased subnet mask, maybe a /23 (255.255.254.0) or /22 (255.255.252.0), just to make the pool larger". How would that help this situation? I will change the lease time to a lower value and see if that help.

Message 8 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

Hi,

I have checked this router and it really must have some problems with counting.

With the settings above I have just now 10 devices within the range of 100 to 253. 

Between 1 and 99 I have 41 devices on static IP. 

According to the router there are 89 free leases.

How is that possible?

Message 9 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@HenrikA,

Would it be possible if we can check your LAN through Angry IP scanner? Then let's see the results.

Regards,

Message 10 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

Here is the result.

Message 11 of 13
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@HenrikA,

As per checking on the attachment that you have that there are some devices connected but not everything was taken. So it should still provide leases. I suggest you to open a chat / case online on NETGEAR support and please let them know the status of your firewall.

Message 12 of 13
HenrikA
Tutor

OK, I do that. Thanks for your assistance.

-Henrik

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements