Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRX5308 L2TP Passthrough

TonyArgh
Aspirant

SRX5308 L2TP Passthrough

I have searched. I see this get asked a lot. I did find one thread where someone figured out the problem... but he didn't post the solution.

I have reset and updated my SRX5308 with the newest firmware.

I reconfigured PPP to passthrough to my Windows server. Works fine. Has always worked fine. I want to shut that down, like many here, and switch to L2TP. I opened the ports on the router and everything is configured on the server with a pre-shared key but I cannot get anything to connect. Phones or Laptops.

To be clear, I do not want to set up the Posafe as my L2TP server, I want to continue using the server.

I've been working on this sporadically for weeks and am at my wits end here.

Just for giggles I then tried to use the Prosafe as the server just to see if I could get anything to connect anyway: https://kb.netgear.com/24393/Configuring-an-L2TP-VPN-Tunnel-to-ProSAFE-ProSECURE-routers with a Win10 laptop.

Same error, the generic: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing?

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SRX5308 L2TP Passthrough

Hi @TonyArgh,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I have searched. I see this get asked a lot. I did find one thread where someone figured out the problem... but he didn't post the solution.

I suggest you try to send a private message to the fellow community member who figured out the problem.  

Just for giggles I then tried to use the Prosafe as the server just to see if I could get anything to connect anyway: https://kb.netgear.com/24393/Configuring-an-L2TP-VPN-Tunnel-to-ProSAFE-ProSECURE-routers with a Win10 laptop.

Same error, the generic: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer.

Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing?

Let me share the old forum thread below and use it as your reference guide:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/FVS336Gv3-L2TP-IPsec-on-Windows-10/m-p/1063257/thread...

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TonyArgh,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 4
TonyArgh
Aspirant

Months now I've been working on this, a few hours there, a few hours here. MONTHS!

I cannot believe how difficult this is. How this isn't a more common question here just blows my mind.

Finally made a little progress today. Previously I couldn't get the L2TP to work from a Workstation behind the firewall. That tells me it's an issue with the server. Today, I finally found one small setting that now enables me to connect through a workstation on the same LAN and behind the firewall of my L2TP server.

Now if I could just get through this Netgear Firewall.

To recap: We have been using PPTP for 8 years. When we got the new Netgear, it was so easy to set up. Go to SECURITY and add one Inbound Service: PPTP, point it to the internal server: voila. Success.

The link every one keeps sending me to explains how to set the SRX 5308 AS an L2TP server. I don't want that! I just want the router to pass the traffic to the server.

This has to be more common a question?!? It simply has to be ever since Apple stopped supporting PPTP. My users can no longer use an iPhone HotSpot to VPN in. Because I can't figure out how to get the Netgeat to pass that sweet sweet L2TP traffic.

Help?!? This should not be that hard. (Hopefully it isn't).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements