Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SRX5308 and 4G mobile broadband failover solution

DruidJon
Aspirant

SRX5308 and 4G mobile broadband failover solution

Hi everyone,

My apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum, though I believe I'm correct.  I have a small business client that uses an FVS336Gv2 ProSafe Dual WAN configured to use WeightedLB between WAN1 & WAN2.

The client has a requirement to have installed a mobile 4G broadband failover solution. The current solution being explored will utilise an Huawei 4Go SIM free router to provide the mobile broadband access. The existing router will likely be replaced by an SRX5308 ProSafe Quad WAN, (2 WAN ports to be configured for weighted loadbalancing and a third WAN port be configured as automatic failover - hopefully).

It is the failover facility I have a concern with: I'm currently assuming it should work flawlessly after configuration but Will the failover be a totally automatic and seamless switching will occur between the routers? or are there issues / concerns / configurations I should be made aware of prior to a purchase? or indeed is an SXR5308 the correct router for this particular situaion? I have never ventured into 4G broadband failover teritory before, and would appreciate any given advice and/or recommendations that you can throw at me! 🙂

With kind regards & thanks in advance

Jon

Model: SRX5308|PROSAFE Gigabit Quad WAN SSL & IPSEC VPN Firewall
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DruidJon,

Welcome to the community! 

You are posting on the correct board, don't worry. 🙂 As for the SRX5308, you cannot configure both LB and failover at the same time. It would only be one or the other. However, if you have three WAN ports in use (even if you have LB enabled on two) all three ports will connect to the internet simultaneously (as long as they are configured). If the 2 ports used for LB fails, all internet traffic will be redirected to the third WAN port. The only issue here is if you have defined rules specific to the ports that are using the LB, it will not be applied to the third port (when the 2 WAN ports using LB both fail). 4G technology is not really as reliable compared to DSL or cable connections since it requires good location, signal from the provider should be able to reach the 4G router. It is a good backup connection as long as the signal from the provider is reliable. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello DruidJon,

Welcome to the community! 

You are posting on the correct board, don't worry. 🙂 As for the SRX5308, you cannot configure both LB and failover at the same time. It would only be one or the other. However, if you have three WAN ports in use (even if you have LB enabled on two) all three ports will connect to the internet simultaneously (as long as they are configured). If the 2 ports used for LB fails, all internet traffic will be redirected to the third WAN port. The only issue here is if you have defined rules specific to the ports that are using the LB, it will not be applied to the third port (when the 2 WAN ports using LB both fail). 4G technology is not really as reliable compared to DSL or cable connections since it requires good location, signal from the provider should be able to reach the 4G router. It is a good backup connection as long as the signal from the provider is reliable. 

Let us know if this helps. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 4
DruidJon
Aspirant

Hi John,

Thank you. You have nailed the proposed solution on the head Smiley Very Happy Traffic would be required to be redirected to the third WAN port (4G broadband router) in the event of the 2 LB WAN ports failing. I agree 4G is not as reliable as DSL/cable but the available ISPs for the client are limited - basically 1, hence the 4G as the most effective failover option available Smiley Sad  but current research has indicated a potential 4G provider who can offer a good signal strength & quality. The 4G broadband router will be supplied with an external antena which should help? As this solution is for temporary/failover use only, (for days rather than weeks/months)  defined rules (in my scenario protocol bindings applied to one of the existing WAN ports) can be forsaken temporarily.

Again, many thanks for your prompt and informative input to my dilema.

Cheers

Jon 

Message 3 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DruidJon, 

You're welcome! If you can find a 4G provider that is reliable then that solution can be also used for long term. The external antenna would definitely help gain more signal. 

Let us know if you have more questions. Have a great day! 

Thanks,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements